Idk what this little white thing is..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaceFace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OKAY, so i noticed this little thing in my sand, it kinda looks like a fan.
it its white-ish/clear and it has little brown spots on it..
and when i shut my light of its closes and goes underneath the sand...
i will try to take a picture soon, cause the picture i took using my phone was not good at all.
uhmmm i am trying to explain it the best i can, it its not all connected like webbed feet, its more like little strands :confused:

anyone think they know what it could be?

ohhhh, if you were to take one of your hands, and touch all your fingertips together and then open them back up... thats what it kinda looks like, with little spots all over... haha

so it is a feather duster WORMMM?
it does look like this a little but with brown spots..

1411d1234585294-feather-duster-worms-good-bad-272908101_bcfdbcc663.jpg

uhmm but i dont see the stem thingie that is underneath the sand.
is it good or bad?
how did it just grow there???
...weirddd

i know everyone is saying its good, but idk if i like the fact that theres a worm in my tank, what the [Moderator edit] else is in there that i dont know about? haha interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohh okay and i did "some" research on feather dusters and the tube is the thing that the worm lives in and that they built .. so what are the antenae or the little things that look like feathers? connected to the worm.. or what? still confuzzled a little.

Those so called feathers are feeding and sifting minute particles out of your water. I was watching my hawaiian featherduster and it caught a piece of food and passed one little arm (feather) at a time downward into it's central mouth. neat stuff.
I would like to see a picture as soon as you can before I call it good or not.

Mitchell, without a picture it may not be a duster. It may be aiptasia or such.

i know everyone is saying its good, but idk if i like the fact that theres a worm in my tank, what the [Moderator edit] else is in there that i dont know about? haha interesting.

:) get used to having thousands of little critters in your tank there is always something new appearing even wothout adding anything to the tank, its a part of the hobby i want to suggest you get a flash light with a red or blue lens (try plastic wrap from pantry) And shinning it into tank a few hours after lights have been off on tank and around tank, you will be amazed at wat you find in your system. And 80% of the time is a good thing to have just watch it all grow :)

Bonnie if that object doesn't move around the tank then it can't really affect your snails. What is the temp. of your tank right now? How much water did you change in your tank? Remember to take things slow. Replace evaporated water with straight RO/DI water and premix your saltwater at least overnight to a salinity of 1.024 right now so you slowly raise the tank salinity and use a heater to make sure it's the same temp. as your tank water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom