IDs please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. Carpet anemones should not be white. Gray is the lightest you should ever see. With VERY few exceptions, a white anemone is one that has been stressed to the point of expelling it's host zooanthellae. My guess is an immune response. Anywho, just like with corals, this is called bleaching, and it's very often fatal. While possible to nurse it back to health, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a long, slow process with fairly dismal success rate.
Not to mention carpet anemones can get huge, and will eat your fish. Even a hosting clownfish if it gets hungry enough.

MacDracor said:
Nope. Carpet anemones should not be white. Gray is the lightest you should ever see. With VERY few exceptions, a white anemone is one that has been stressed to the point of expelling it's host zooanthellae. My guess is an immune response. Anywho, just like with corals, this is called bleaching, and it's very often fatal. While possible to nurse it back to health, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a long, slow process with fairly dismal success rate.
Not to mention carpet anemones can get huge, and will eat your fish. Even a hosting clownfish if it gets hungry enough.

Thanks. I don't want one of those now. I don't want nitrous to eat my fish.

Really? poms poms arent reef safe? lol I had one in my 4g pico for a few months and she never touched a coral. In fact, my corals thrived and looked fabulous in that tank. :) I guess I got lucky!

carey said:
Really? poms poms arent reef safe? lol I had one in my 4g pico for a few months and she never touched a coral. In fact, my corals thrived and looked fabulous in that tank. :) I guess I got lucky!

Well, liveaquaria said reef compatible with caution. I take that as a no since I'm just starting out.

This is all news to me! lol I am really glad I heard this all. :) I am building a 60g tank and was going to add a couple of them. !! That would have been a mess, I got lucky once it seems but not sure if my luck would hold out if I got a few of them! LOL

Such awesome little guys though, so pretty....

carey said:
This is all news to me! lol I am really glad I heard this all. :) I am building a 60g tank and was going to add a couple of them. !! That would have been a mess, I got lucky once it seems but not sure if my luck would hold out if I got a few of them! LOL

Such awesome little guys though, so pretty....

I think they are so cute. Id like one. Maybe I'll have to do a FOWLR one day so I can have one. Not sure my husband is going to like having 2 huge fish tanks. Lol! I may have to sneak a corner tank in... Maybe a 30 gallon or something... Yep... That'll have to do. :)

The crabs themselves are reef safe. The issue is that the "pom poms" are tiny anemones that they wave around all willy nilly. The crab climbing over a coral won't hurt it, but the anemones it carries could sting it.

MacDracor said:
The crabs themselves are reef safe. The issue is that the "pom poms" are tiny anemones that they wave around all willy nilly. The crab climbing over a coral won't hurt it, but the anemones it carries could sting it.

Where do they get the tiny anemones?

That's actually a really good question. *opens new tab to start googling* Ok, so it seems they will just grab any old anemone they find that is small enough to carry. Usually a beaded anemone (now considered a pest in SF bay), but I did find one story of a pom pom crab grabbing an aiptasia anemone. LOL
Worth noting that home tanks are usually well fed enough for a pom pom crab to not *need* the anemones.

MacDracor said:
That's actually a really good question. *opens new tab to start googling* Ok, so it seems they will just grab any old anemone they find that is small enough to carry. Usually a beaded anemone (now considered a pest in SF bay), but I did find one story of a pom pom crab grabbing an aiptasia anemone. LOL
Worth noting that home tanks are usually well fed enough for a pom pom crab to not *need* the anemones.

That explains alot. And thank you for googling that for me. :)

No problem. I'd wondered it too, just hadn't taken the time to read up on it since I wasn't planning on getting one anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom