If i can, what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a tiny little decorative pond in my backyard that I am TRYING to fix. All it has is a fountain feature for aeration. I'd have to add a small filter. Does anyone know how to deter snakes and frogs? The pond is a multiple level preformed pond, with a depth of 2 feet or so at the most. It is about three ft in diameter. There is a turtle in it somewhere that I'll have to fish out, at least I think its still there. I guess it to hold about 35-40 gallons. I want to have a few small fish in it and a fancy goldfish or two perhaps. I know nothing about the world of ponds so what sort of fish could I have in this pond? Also, when it gets really hot or cold, I'd like to be able to remove the fish to a filtered rubbermaid tub indoors.
Thanks
Edit- I've been looking and I'm thinking-
30 rosy red minnows
2-3 fancy goldfish
A bunch of plastic plants

You definitely need some type of filtration. I checked a few pond calculators for a 3ft wide circular pond thats 2ft deep and got a few different answers for approximate gallons/volume. If its different levels, then your average depth would be closer to 1ft than 2ft, so this makes a big difference. The approximate numbers were @50-100g. This needs to be figured out first so you can figure out an appropriate sized filter & what can be comfortably stocked.

Ok, in respect to creatures getting into your pond, there really is no way to prevent this unless you enclose the pond in some type of permanent structure. Even if you remove all of the creatures, they will return in no time. My cat seems to do a good job of preventing too many things from venturing across the yard & into the pond (we find the headless bodies of frogs & other things scattered across the yard). Maybe someone else has some other ideas!

I would also opt for real plants if possible- they will keep your pond much healthier. Plastic plants will bleach in the sun & can be damaging to fancies finnnage & eyes. Moving everybody inside in excessive cold/heat is a good idea. Just my thoughts here! :)

You could add like 100 feeder guppies along with you fish selection. It's really enjoyable to watch them school and swarm the surface for food. The guppies will breed and offer constant replenishing food for the goldies

Natetrix said:
You could add like 100 feeder guppies along with you fish selection. It's really enjoyable to watch them school and swarm the surface for food. The guppies will breed and offer constant replenishing food for the goldies

I don't have access to feeder guppies but I could add a few to breed

Alright folks, forget the little pond for now- we are considering a 125 gal in ground preformed pond. It will have a decent filter and a fountain feature. I'd like to have Sarsara Comets and Rosy Red Minnows or Fancy Goldies and the minnows or natives from a creek by our home.
What plants could we add? Are mystery snails safe in a backyard pond at least 200 yards from any natural waters? Are nerites safe? What would eat algae and not get huge?
My LFS has a stunning pond section-:dance:- so I can get pretty much anything I'd need. What is necessary for a pond? I'm not sure if we will get one but we may also consider a larger one in the 500+ gal range in pond liner form. How are liners installed?
Thanks

Tetra1990 said:
I would skip the stocking snails by yourself. The creek will naturally supply your snails.

I don't understand how that will happen when the pond and stream arent connected

Sorry if im confusing you more but I'm no expert, I'll do my best to explain;) I'm sure the creek has frogs/turtles and snails naturally. But eventually they will figure out that there is another body of water nearby and come check it out.make sense?

The main necessities for a pond are some type of liner & filtration. I dont know how mystery snails or nerites would do in a pond but regular old pond snails or japense trapdoor snails work fine. Installing a liner is pretty easy- dig out the space, put down some type insulation if the ground is rough or rocky & install the liner. Make sure the liner is big enough to account for the length, width, depth & have atleast 1ft overlay around the top. Theres alot of videos on utube that describe the process (alot easier than it sounds!). The hardest part is digging out the area its going! :)

Tetra1990 said:
Sorry if im confusing you more but I'm no expert, I'll do my best to explain;) I'm sure the creek has frogs/turtles and snails naturally. But eventually they will figure out that there is another body of water nearby and come check it out.make sense?

Yes but how would the snails get there when it's at least 200 yards away or more?

The main necessities for a pond are some type of liner & filtration. I dont know how mystery snails or nerites would do in a pond but regular old pond snails or japense trapdoor snails work fine. Installing a liner is pretty easy- dig out the space, put down some type insulation if the ground is rough or rocky & install the liner. Make sure the liner is big enough to account for the length, width, depth & have atleast 1ft overlay around the top. Theres alot of videos on utube that describe the process (alot easier than it sounds!). The hardest part is digging out the area its going! :)
I've got acess to a backhoe for digging LOL! Since a liner is cheaper than a preformed, I'm actually considering a 5'Wx5'Lx3'D liner pond, around 750 gallons. So I'm thinking-
10-15: Comet Goldfish
100: Rosy Red Minnows

You lucky dog!!! lol! I dug by hand.... If you have access to a backhoe, I would consider going bigger. Once its done, you will wish you had anyway! Just my thoughts! :)

This is one other thing I did that the owner of my local pond store suggested although I know others are against this due to making the pond more accessible to creatures. The pond is straight down on one side but the other side I made a 1 1/2 ft deep, 1 ft wide shelf. I now use this shelf for setting potted plants. If I had a backhoe, I definitely would have done 6+ft deep instead of 3 1/2ft (there was only so much I could dig!!!) but I am happy with the job I did! :)

Well, I don't want it huge as the filter price is increasing by the second here lol but maybe another 8"-1' of depth.

Back
Top Bottom