If i were to breed bettas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The baby shrimp would be great to feed the parents, but not newly hatched fry- they need almost microscopic foofs for the first few weeks.

soooo... Turns out I CAN start a bbs culture but CANNOT do microworms. I have room and supplies for the fry and then for the males and any aggressive females to be separated. I am conditioning my two females and am getting a crown tail male in the next couple days. Once I get him I'll start conditioning him two. For conditioning I am finding it hard to get a hold of any live food, so I'm using freeze dried bloodworms and daphnia and frozen brine shrimp. Will that still work? I will possibly also get a couple more females today. One more question though. Can I start feeding the bbs as soon as the fry are swimming horizontally and the male is removed, or should I wait and feed infusoria for the first how ever long?

Anyone else have experience breeding bettas?? Your help would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Just a tip.Female bettas have vertical stripes when their ready to breed.Horizontal stripes mean that they are stressed out or not ready to breed.

Just a tip.Female bettas have vertical stripes when their ready to breed.Horizontal stripes mean that they are stressed out or not ready to breed.

Thanks for the tip :) I Read that when I started researching betta breeding around six months ago as well

This book helped me out a ton when I was breeding Bettas. Siamese Fighting Fish (Keeping and Breeding Them in Captivity) by Gene Wolfsheimer.
I seem to do better with a physical book in front of me.

Here is how I breed bettas. First, when your ready to go your females vent should have a white dot covering it. Place your male in a plastic sweater box and provide floating material, a styro cup cut in half lengthwise, a circle cut from a trash bag or plastice lid, what ever. Once he blows a few bubbles in te float stuff place the female in a mason jar filled about an inch higher than the water in the sweater box and place it in the sweater box. The male should blow an extensive nest while trying to attack the female. Leave her in the jar at least two days. Take the female out of the jar and replace the water placing the jar in the back corner of the sweater box. Make sure she can just barly fit behind it to hide. Once you observe the spawning or the male is busy with eggs get the female out. Once the eggs hatch out goes the male. Run some super lite air and feed green water. Feed about 1/2 cup twice daily for a week. Move fry to a 10gal after that and use a sponge filter.

Green water: Siphon your tanks and get as much fish waste as possible. Place it two mason jars with aquarium water. Put it out in the sun and in a day or so, green water.

Back
Top Bottom