If the water conditions are the same, do i still need to do the full acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasjestyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering as i am kind of new. But when I purchase a new specimen from the LFS and get home; if i test the water and the pH and salinity are the same, do I still need to go through all of the water acclimation steps (like slow drip) or can I just do the temperature acclimation part?

the only live stock you need to really drip acclimate are shrimps, else a temp acclimation is all thats needed

its still never a bad thing to drip acclimate though, it eases whatever you'rte acclimating to the different water perameters

I've only ever acclimated for temp. Nothing has died yet, not even shrimp.
You are extremely lucky

If the differences in parameters isn't too extreme, a temp acclimation will suffice, but let's be honest, when it comes to sw livestock, the majority of lfs out there simply don't offer a refund/living guarantee....that being said, although a drip acclimation isn't really necessary, its a safeguard and stress reducer:) if you can get into the habit of doing it everytime, I'd suggest it:)

We invest a lot of money into our sw livestock, something as simple as a drip acclimation can help by reducing stress and therefore lowering the chances of sickness:)

negligent_inmate said:
You are extremely lucky

If the differences in parameters isn't too extreme, a temp acclimation will suffice, but let's be honest, when it comes to sw livestock, the majority of lfs out there simply don't offer a refund/living guarantee....that being said, although a drip acclimation isn't really necessary, its a safeguard and stress reducer:) if you can get into the habit of doing it everytime, I'd suggest it:)

We invest a lot of money into our sw livestock, something as simple as a drip acclimation can help by reducing stress and therefore lowering the chances of sickness:)

Yeah, now I know to do that. I'd HATE to lose $30 because of stupidity.

I wouldn't really say it was stupidity :) we all do it at some point, its just a good habit to have because like you said, itd suck to lose a 30 dollar fish because he wasn't acclimated properly

i did it today with snaild and crabs, but then again i bought 3 snails and 3 crabs and i paid $10.50, i probably wasted more money in gas to get to the story then i paid to get the inverts :p

for snails and crabs i just temp acclimate and drop them in

Back
Top Bottom