If this was available, would you buy it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
or if you're an experienced reefer now would you have when you started out?

I'm thinking of desiging custom sps frag rocks or mounds if you will. My plan it to take rock and epoxy it into interesting shapes then glue 6 to 10 frags to it creating a one time shop for you sps needs...lol

I was thinking they'd be pretty small so someone could put them in a nano tank if they wanted. Its sort of a way to buy sps but not have to drop $80 on your first coral. I havn't worked out a price yet but say I could make them and sell them for $100 - $120 ish per peice, would this be something you'd try?

I think it would be a great idea. I'd buy one for a tank and figure out what I liked and didn't. Also what I could keep and not. It's definitely worth making one or two and seeing how it goes.

My LFS does something like that (softies) they bill them as "instant coral reefs" They sell from $100-$150 and seem to go quick. Im on board with an SPS reef (y)

It would def be interesting. I like the idea, but it'd depend on what all went into it. With sps your need to pick what you put in it carefully due to growth...a rock with all montis would end up smothering all whole it, as an example. As stated above, all softies is easier...though more boring IMO. If done well I'd have wished this would have been an option a year ago.

I might've tried something like that...... I don't know about 6-10 pieces, maybe 4 or 5. For beginners, maybe a seriatopora & hystrix birdsnest and a monti digi or two and a cap. The only problem I could think of is if you tried to ship it, the rolling around would probably knock everything off..... might be something you'd want to try local.

This wouldn't work as well as single corals because what if the buyer doesn't want a certain coral on that rock, or already has it? Also, they will need to be removed from the rock and placed elsewhere in the tank. I'd rather have the single corals and choose exactly what i want.

I wouldn't ship them, just local via craigslist or something. Maybe have my lfs stock a couple and see if they sell, my lfs and I are pretty good friends now...lol

mr x I hear ya, this is why my target would be new reefers or people just starting out with sps in their tanks. The market for coral in Vancouver is sort of weird. For a sps frag you're paying around $30 and for a colony you're paying $70-$100. For a new person to spend $100 on an acro not knowing what to really do with it is sort of leap of faith and to buy your first frag is pretty underwhelming when it's only an inch. I'm thinking of providign a really cool looking peice for around the price of a colony but with a variety of shapes and colors so you can watch them all grow. I was thinking of including an instruction sheet too (something stores NEVER do) with tips on maintaining your Cal, Alk and Mag plus lighting, basically what I've learned over the years...

Just an idea, I have a frag tank cycled and set up and I can't decide what to do with it so it's this bit tank with a clown fish right now...lol Lookign for something worthwhile to do with itl

Back
Top Bottom