If you were a 12 year old boy what would you want in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jrskater1999 said:
People a twelve year old BOY. Im guessing he would want something aggressive.

Can't get anything really aggressive for a 5 g tank

I think a small group of glowfish would be nice. As far as I know they stay small so a llittle shoal of them would be nice.

Otherwise I agree with ohers on a betta and some ghost shrimp. The shrimp could also be replaced by a mystery snail too.

Castryn said:
I think a small group of glowfish would be nice. As far as I know they stay small so a llittle shoal of them would be nice.

Otherwise I agree with ohers on a betta and some ghost shrimp. The shrimp could also be replaced by a mystery snail too.

I wouldn't house glow fish in a five gallon. They need a twenty minimum

Tropicallie said:
I ended up getting him two little bitty redclawed crabs

Then be ready to go brackish because that is what they need to survive

emerald76 said:
Yes forgot too add it they need land and brackish conditions

Red claw crabs don't need land that's fiddler crabs and I specifically asked if they need brackish and again it was a no.

Tropicallie said:
Red claw crabs don't need land that's fiddler crabs and I specifically asked if they need brackish and again it was a no.

Who did you ask?

" 1. These crabs live in brackish water — that is, where salty ocean water and fresh river water mix. They can’t survive indefinitely in only fresh water. (More on brackish water below.)
2. They’re a semi-terrestrial species, NOT aquatic. In the wild, they spend time on land, digging burrows and looking for food. They can’t survive totally submerged, and require adequate land area in addition to water.
3. They’re extremely agile climbers and can fit out a very small space. They’ll easily escape through the openings that most fish aquariums have for the filter, airline tubes, cords, etc."

Taken from this article: http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2011/01/fiddler-crabs/

This applies to both fiddlers and red claws

George9 said:
Who did you ask?

" 1. These crabs live in brackish water — that is, where salty ocean water and fresh river water mix. They can’t survive indefinitely in only fresh water. (More on brackish water below.)
2. They’re a semi-terrestrial species, NOT aquatic. In the wild, they spend time on land, digging burrows and looking for food. They can’t survive totally submerged, and require adequate land area in addition to water.
3. They’re extremely agile climbers and can fit out a very small space. They’ll easily escape through the openings that most fish aquariums have for the filter, airline tubes, cords, etc."

Taken from this article: http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2011/01/fiddler-crabs/

LFS lady told me. They both climb up on the filter to get air which is a good way above the water so that should be fine. And there are no holes in the cover that I have on it

Tropicallie said:
LFS lady told me. They both climb up on the filter to get air which is a good way above the water so that should be fine. And there are no holes in the cover that I have on it

Thats good. You should be fine there then. Their lifespan will be shortened in fw but if you don't mind, you should be fine

You gotta remember to do research for yourself and not trust what they tell you at the fish store because they are usually telling you because 1- thats what someone told them, or 2- its they way theyve done things as long as they've owned the fish store.

Neither of these is sufficient to science based evidence from legitimate resources. Research the species for yourself and learn as much as you can

Back
Top Bottom