Ignore algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, i was wondering, have any of you ever thought of or did ignore the growth of green algae in your tanks at some part to produce a natural sight ? I was thinking of ignoring algae growth on the back of my aquarium and maybe by the sides. If anyone did such i will love to have some comments and possibly pictures :)

I have actually thought about this before as well. I wonder if it would take nutrients away from other plants.

In my planted tank I don't clean off the back. Partly to give the MTS and Amano shrimp something to munch on and since I am using a black trash bag taped to the back of the tank (black background ghetto style), the algae magnet does not maneuver back there too well. Plus the filters present and obstacle. Also, some stray java moss has grown onto the back wall in a few spots to create a partial moss wall.
In my shrimp tank I only clean the front pane. I want to leave as much biofilm and algae for the baby shrimp.
Not sure if the algae impact the plant nutrient supply. In the planted tank I heavily fertilize it and in the shrimp tank it only get root tabs every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doubt algae uses much nutrients because it is relatively small.

I think BillBug "let" some grow on the rocks of his iwagumi scape to make it look more natural.

you can always divide marimo balls and attach them to wood and rocks and let them spread naturally. The bonus to this is that even though cladophora is an algae it out competes the nuisance algae for nutrients and looks quite nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I let algae grow on my rocks and dw in some tanks.. corys and otos appreciate it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410467818526.jpg
    1410467818526.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 67
You need some juncus repens to fill in some holes there

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I like them!!! You have? I left the foreground sparsely planted for a possible addition..

I like them!!! You have? I left the foreground sparsely planted for a possible addition..

Yes I do and I will need to trim it soon, I will also be trimming my stargrass which could be used as a bushy midground hedge or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my planted tank I don't clean off the back. Partly to give the MTS and Amano shrimp something to munch on and since I am using a black trash bag taped to the back of the tank (black background ghetto style), the algae magnet does not maneuver back there too well. Plus the filters present and obstacle. Also, some stray java moss has grown onto the back wall in a few spots to create a partial moss wall.
In my shrimp tank I only clean the front pane. I want to leave as much biofilm and algae for the baby shrimp.
Not sure if the algae impact the plant nutrient supply. In the planted tank I heavily fertilize it and in the shrimp tank it only get root tabs every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. I don't clean my back wall either because I have black paper taped on as my ghetto black background. :lol:

It seems to only grow to a certain point and eventually finds a balance. Plus I have snails and an Oto that like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom