I'm a beginner starting a 55gal aquarium. ADVICE NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kay2lynnS said:
So we found a stand. An old buffet table type thing. It has some damage as in scratches but that is an easy fix. It is way sturdyer than the last one we found. And so much more beautiful! All for $40! (Photo below)It will look wonderful in our living room and tie in great with the natural look we want inside the tank! So excited!
Next step. Cleaning the tank and setting it up for cycling. :)

How exciting! I just got my upgrade 55 gallon tank that I have to clean and cycle as well! I have a 10 gallon now that I found its stand at my local thrift store for $3.50! Hubby and I will be on the hunt for a table for the upgrade tank now too! And hey, the table I found had some cosmetic damage to it as well but I wasn't all that worried about it because with an aquarium being on it damage is gonna happen anyway!

Who will notice the stand once you have a beautiful underwater oasis sitting on top! Lol!

Mrs.h2012 said:
How exciting! I just got my upgrade 55 gallon tank that I have to clean and cycle as well! I have a 10 gallon now that I found its stand at my local thrift store for $3.50! Hubby and I will be on the hunt for a table for the upgrade tank now too! And hey, the table I found had some cosmetic damage to it as well but I wasn't all that worried about it because with an aquarium being on it damage is gonna happen anyway!

Haha awesome! We found this at a thrift store as well. We are polishing it up now and it is beautiful! I bought a 10 gallon today at walmart. It will be an upgrade for my betta! I'll be cycling it soon. Keep me posted with how your tanks are coming! Id love to hear it! :)

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Who will notice the stand once you have a beautiful underwater oasis sitting on top! Lol!

My mother. Haha we are somewhat perfections. The main scrapes are on top, but the tank will hide all that. The rest just add character! :)

Photo: top drawer unpolished, bottomed polished! Wow! It's only the stand and im excited! Haha tonight and tomorrow will be cleaning the tank. Joy. :)

ForumRunner_20120927_145939.jpg

I would tray and add a couple extra supports that run the length of the stand itself, just to be safe.

Vinegar is safe, use and rinse it off.

As far as stocking, you want to put the angels in last. If put in first they can take an attitude that the tank is theirs and will harass other fish non stop. Rams should go in after the tank has matured some, they don't do well in new tanks. No neons with angelfish, angels will see them as food. You could do cardinals (which are much larger) or runnynose tetras. A starlight pleco in a 55 is not going that big of a waste machine that you would need to worry IMO. Cory Cats are a great bottom schooler/feeder but they are not algae eaters in the sense that pleco's are. Oto's cats are great little sucker cats or you can get snails.

Vinegar is safe, use and rinse it off.

As far as stocking, you want to put the angels in last. If put in first they can take an attitude that the tank is theirs and will harass other fish non stop. Rams should go in after the tank has matured some, they don't do well in new tanks. No neons with angelfish, angels will see them as food. You could do cardinals (which are much larger) or runnynose tetras. A starlight pleco in a 55 is not going that big of a waste machine that you would need to worry IMO. Cory Cats are a great bottom schooler/feeder but they are not algae eaters in the sense that pleco's are. Oto's cats are great little sucker cats or you can get snails.

After reading some more I am traiding the neons for Lemon Yellow tetras and Runnynose. I think I'll follow your advice and put the Angels in last. :)Thank-you

If you havent bought a heater yet, I would check amazon I got an awesome heater (300 watt) for only 14 bucks and it works great if you go to a petco or another fish store you will be paying alot more than that! Good Luck!! I just upgraded to a 55 gallon for my cichlids and its amazing!

Burgo345 said:
If you havent bought a heater yet, I would check amazon I got an awesome heater (300 watt) for only 14 bucks and it works great if you go to a petco or another fish store you will be paying alot more than that! Good Luck!! I just upgraded to a 55 gallon for my cichlids and its amazing!

That's awesome. :) I found a nearly new one on ebay for $10 (not including shipping) It's adjustable. I should get it sometime next week :)

Tank all cleaned. As are the filter box and tubes. We added a black background. (we used car tint window stuff) and it is coming along swimmingly! Haha. Not much else to do until we get sand, decor and plants. Most we ordered online. So till we get all that in, I'll do more reading, planning and wandering on this wonderful site. This is what I, an almost 21 year old, does on her Friday night. :) yay!

Burgo345 said:
Looking good! Lots of progress today!

Yes! Things are going well. Going into town today to get sand, buckets and test kit. Question to you all: can I use a freshwater pond test kit for the tank? What about freshwater pond plants?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom