I'm a beginner starting a 55gal aquarium. ADVICE NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question: we just noticed that our filter has no bio-filter. So mom bought these:

ForumRunner_20121003_123013.jpg

They have no added sopes. We think the brown one, 2nd, ( all natural pad) will work best. Do you think we can use any of these??

Well, not to discourage you, but IMHO, I think you should trade the 55 in for a 20-29 gal. tank. I think for somekne who's kept nothing but a betta for a year&half, 55 is a bit big to start with. I know I had a five gallon for my first tank for a year and a half then I got my twenty about a year ago, and I still haven't quite figured everything out. But part of my problem was/is that I put way, WAY too much faith (now I put about as much faith in there aquarium skills as my dog) in my lfs employees.

Lt. said:
Well, not to discourage you, but IMHO, I think you should trade the 55 in for a 20-29 gal. tank. I think for somekne who's kept nothing but a betta for a year&half, 55 is a bit big to start with. I know I had a five gallon for my first tank for a year and a half then I got my twenty about a year ago, and I still haven't quite figured everything out. But part of my problem was/is that I put way, WAY too much faith (now I put about as much faith in there aquarium skills as my dog) in my lfs employees.

No I wouldn't do that. It's always recommended to buy the biggest size aquarium you can afford. Having a bigger tank also stops you from running into problems with water levels and diseases. Always get the biggest tank you can.

Lt. said:

In all my research and reading. (also what the lovely people on here) have told me is to get the biggest tank as you can. And as for fish, you have to start somewhere. :) thank you anyway.

Hey, no problem, that's just my opinion. Anyways, i haven't read the entire thread yet. But what type of fish are you gonna get? This is a fresh water tank i assume.

Bigger tank is always better. A given amount of ammonia will raise the ppm by much more in a smaller tank than in a larger one. You have much more wiggle room in a bigger tank, and you can put in some really cool fish. (y)

Question: we just noticed that our filter has no bio-filter. So mom bought these:

View attachment 122429

They have no added sopes. We think the brown one, 2nd, ( all natural pad) will work best. Do you think we can use any of these??

The benificial bacteria will colonize on any surface so you don't necessarily need bio media in your filter. However, if you still want some, I think the all natural pad would be best.

Lt. said:
Hey, no problem, that's just my opinion. Anyways, i haven't read the entire thread yet. But what type of fish are you gonna get? This is a fresh water tank i assume.

It will be a freshwater tank, yes. Also my list of fish is in the main post. :)

bud29 said:
The benificial bacteria will colonize on any surface so you don't necessarily need bio media in your filter. However, if you still want some, I think the all natural pad would be best.

Okay thank you!

bud29 said:

Yeah, I was just learning this since my filter doesn't have bio media, just charcoal, but I'm gonna pick up media soon if its at my lfs.

Is there any way you can hang/clip the natural sponge right under where the water flows comes out of your HOB? The water running over the sponge will actually grow BB better in moving water.

Rivercats said:
Is there any way you can hang/clip the natural sponge right under where the water flows comes out of your HOB? The water running over the sponge will actually grow BB better in moving water.

It will act as a bio filter. We are going to put it in the filter. It will be the last thing the water goes through before it falls back into the tank. :)

Always go for the biggest aquarium you can afford, but include a good filter or even better filters for it. When I first started I got a 5g, nothing but headaches with it. 3 months later I got a 15g, not as many headaches. Then another 3 months later i got a 30g, very few headaches but not enough room for what I wanted. Finally got a 63g and its the best thing I've ever done, though I'm currently looking at a 100g, but thankfully at present nowhere to put it yet - as soon as I do get it I'm ordering a pair of Salvini's.

Wow, we're in a very similar boat and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!! Really looking forward to some pictures - I'm quite interested to see how your substrate looks, and how things turn out with your plants (I skipped the soil due to receiving free substrate and just not wanting to spend additional cash at the moment, as I just finished school, but it's definitely something I'd like to do with a future tank).

Keep us posted - sounds like you have a real handle on things so far!

.josh. said:
Wow, we're in a very similar boat and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!! Really looking forward to some pictures - I'm quite interested to see how your substrate looks, and how things turn out with your plants (I skipped the soil due to receiving free substrate and just not wanting to spend additional cash at the moment, as I just finished school, but it's definitely something I'd like to do with a future tank).

Keep us posted - sounds like you have a real handle on things so far!

Oh thanks! Haha I didn't want to add soil because I didn't think we needed it, but mother insisted. Plants will be added later tonight. Going to take awhile to find the positions that suit us. Haha **** being perfectionist...

Most defiantly photos after all done!

I'll post what it looks like without the plants. 1in of soil with 2in of sand ontop. Total of 3in substrate. May adjust depending on what plants go where so the roots reach the soil. Also a small random drifted piece.

Photo: lets play a game! Spot where Katelyn made a hand print

ForumRunner_20121003_185630.jpg

I wish I could get a 55 gal. But I don't have the room for in my room according to my dad. But I know I could make enough room for a 45gallon corner tank.

Too easy, left back, could see it without blowing pic up. You will be glad for the soil especially since you are using sand which is an inert substrate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom