I'm a little bummed out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went out of town for work this week. I came home to find my flower pot and green bubble tip enemone looking a little under the weather. I inspected my tank to find my auto top of wasn't working properly due to the tube being in the filter sock which had filled up completely with water and created a suction that caused it to function improperly. So my tank had increased in salinity. Also my flower pot is not opening completely my bubble tip is looking sick not fully opened and some of the tips are now gone. I fixed the top off immediately and did a 10% water change went to my lfs and found my ph a bit low 8.2 so I added some buffer to my tank. Hope it all comes back. I also turned my lighting intensity up a bit hopefully it was a good move. I'll give it a few weeks if it gets worse I'll try turning the intensity down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update. Anemone is opening a bit more so is the flower pot but still not back to full potential. I did a few tests ph is back on point nitrates are down but amonia is up a bit not to crazy though. My lfs said to try some amino acids anyone have experience of advice? I will be getting my refugium in on Friday so I'm hoping this helps.

Also my anemones bubbles tips are still deflated I think my pacso clown may have something to do with this? I've also read that the tips will do that sometimes.

If you are reading ammonia then your tank isn't cycled or you don't have enough rock to handle your bio load. How old is the tank, how big, and what fish do you have in it.

I put water in the tank January 1 2014. It is 60 gal. I only have 1 pacso clown. There is roughly 60 lbs of live rock. I test with api and I notice the result color will look good after the first 5 minutes but then slowly starts building to .25. It seem to only happen after one of my routine water changes of 10 gal every 2 weeks. If I test a week after the w/c the amonia is gone.

I plan to add more LR I am also getting coralline algea already and my fish seems pretty happy.

you have to follow the tests to a T. if it tells you to mix it, then let it sit for 5 minutes then read, do exactly that. any color change or variation outside of the intended time frame isnt accurate or worth mentioning. as for the supposed ammonia being gone after a week, check the water you are putting into the tank.... if theres ammonia present in it, then thats your problem. its also worth mentionins that if you have a rodi system that is correctly installed and has the proper filtration cartridges in it, theres no reason you should be seeing ammonia in your new water.

I have checked water I'm getting and it is good. You are right I am probably looking at it to long after the test was preformed. I do not have filtration on my top off system. But it's 5 gal and I'm adding 5 gal a week.

What are you using for water changes? Pre mixed? Mixing your own salt? Using rodi or tap water?

Ro di in my auto top off. And pre mixed reef salt from my lfs.

i have a BRS 4-stage value plus rodi system that fills into a 40g plasitc drum. i use Instant Ocean salt mix, all i do is put 2.5 level sccops of salt mix in a 5g bucket, slide it under the nozzle, fill bucket, stir vigoriously, then pump into tank.

Back
Top Bottom