I'm at my wits end!!! (I"m also new) --- camelanus worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelly77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I hope someone can offer some insight because my tank is seriously driving me bananas. Oh, I'm Lindsay by the way, and this is my first post!

Some background:

I've been breeding guppies for over a year. Before that I had bettas, and I'd consider myself quite knowledgeable about fish. I've had the same two tanks running (and I need more!) for over a year... a 30 gallon and my 5.5 that is my fry tank. My tanks have been fully cycled and in great shape this whole time. Occasionally I have a few fish die here and there for various reasons, but NOTHING like this!

My 30 had:

Many live plants
6 Cories
3 Otos
3 mystery snails (and unfortunately a bunch of babies.. ugh)
6 neon tetras
4 juvenile male guppies
8 adult male guppies
15 adult female guppies

It was definitely over stocked, but with all of the plants and regular 3x weekly water changes, my levels were always perfect and I never had any issues. The tank is right at 80 degrees, I haven't added any new deco. The tank was perfect, and I was so proud of it.

Now.... I could cry. I have major issues and I don't know what to do.

I've lost 3 neons, 4 very rare male guppies, and 8 female guppies. I am suddenly getting white fuzzy looking things hanging out on the plants and deco. The fish are dying for different reasons-- and they don't show signs of stopping. One right now certainly has dropsy and she'll be dead soon (I moved her), one fish looks like she has ich and is wasting away... although none of the other fish show signs of ich. Some of my females died directly after giving birth, so I attribute it to that (as that happens), and some of them just suddenly start getting sick and then die rapidly.

My tank was always the same, any new fish were QT'd. Things started going downhill when I learned about camelanus worms and their signs, and I noticed many of my fish showed signs of the parasite. I treated with Jungle parasite clear and they rapidly got better. Fastforward to now, and so many have died.

It's like a massacre. I'm very disheartened and I don't know what I should do. I have about 150 fry-- do I get rid of all of the adults, dose heavily to get rid of parasites, and start over with the fry? Luckily aside from the rare fish, all of my favorites are still alive and healthy, but I'm terrified to leave them in the main tank to possibly get something.

I'm treating with melafix/pimafix and feeding with anti-parasite food. I just don't know what to do about any of it. If anybody has some advice I'd really appreciate it.

I doubt it's ich, since it can only be introduced, and if you are QT'ing long enough, then you wouldn't have it.
How much do you feed?
What is your pH?

If you think you have camelanus (did you see the worms hanging out the fish's rear ends?), the only good treatment is levamasole orally. This is normally a prescription by vets, but Jungle's anti-parasite food does have levamasole, + Prazi + Flagyl .... all are good anti-parasitic drugs.

You have to make sure all the fish & frys get the food (feed only the anti=parasite food, and ground it up for the frys.) You might want to move all the fish to bare bottom tanks (or just big plastic tubs) so the worm eggs don't have any place to hide (like in a planted tank). Do big water changes & disinfect the tubs from time to time (after you move the fish to a different tub!) to get rid of eggs that are stuck to the bottom. Hopefully, some of your fish will survive. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom