im back...again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C4t4StRoPhIc

Aquarium Advice Activist
and i thought id just update on how the tank is coming. 25 gallon reef with 1 tomato clown, 1 feather duster, mushrooms, and some zooanthids. also an outbreak of aptasia.

my question is this.

now that the tank is completely stable and clean and good and perfect, what kind of fish would yall suggest for this combination of life? :?:

another question...how can i get rid of this nasty aptasia?

peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia. :) I'd try letting one or two go at it before you try chemicals.

well, id really like to get another copper banded butterfly, but i dont think my tank is large enough. possibly another clown? idk really, just something that is fun to look at and has alot of personality. im just kinda lost. dunno where is a good place to do research?

A copperband butterfly should not be kept in a 25 gallon. Your clown probably won't allow another clown in the tank, and maybe won't allow other fish period, although HN1's suggestion of a goby is more likely to work IMO than a lot of other fish. Tomatos grow pretty large and get pretty aggressive.

There are no guarantees that peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia, but ours does. It's certainly worth a try. You may still have to nuke the big ones though. ;)

well, when i got him, he was in a tank with alot of other clowns, so i didnt think that he would mind. your probably right though. well, we will just see how it goes. maybe focus more on making him happy first before even thinking of another fish. what kind of anenome would accept a 25 gal tank?

You're going to need a lot of light for an anemone, as well as a mature tank. How long has this tank been set up? What kind of lighting do you have?

the tank has been set up almost a year, and im not sure what lights i have, (i just know they are coralife) but the main reason i even bought these lights was because it said that it was suitable for anenomes, and i knew then that i wanted one. i was just waiting for a time when the tank was old enough.

Don't even look into anemones....They are the most destructive things you can add to a small tank, they sting every coral they walk by IME, so you are limited in the amount of coral you can get. Look into frogspawn and anchor, less agressive and they can't move. Just don't stick anything that close to them. Clowns may not host a nem anyway. HTH

so just get a frogspawn or anchor? granted they look cool, really pretty and awesome colors, but will it let the clown bond to it? i just want the clown to come out from behind all the rocks and be more "social" i guess.

It is not garunteed that the clown will host anything as I said in previous post. The clown will be fine IF, and that is a BIG if, it wants to host the frogspawn or anchor.

hmm. i see. well, in your opinion then, what would be the best course of action? just not worry about it? or is there a better way to get him out in the open?

How long have you had the clown? Ours is always out in the open and is really personable. We've had it for about 6 months or so.

ive had him for a bout...ohh...2 days? lol probably too quick to be expecting him to be fully adjusted, huh?

well, even as we speak, he has come out and is exploring. that is until he notices im looking at him, then he retreats to the safety of the rocks. lol.

im really happy that he is out, because any fish ive ever had that died stayed hidden. the fact that he is eating ferociously and out and bout, it just makes me happy. thanks guys. yall's advice from beginning till now has been nothing but good.

img_1020616_0_112dd35462f22b2283c74234d7faeadd.jpg

notice the aptasia breakout...ewwie

well it is not good and the more ya get the faster they spread get ya a peppermint shrimp its not always guaranteed that they will eat it but if you say you have that many its worth a try

Back
Top Bottom