Im devestated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 20+ year streak of staring/helping/owning with aquariums and never seeing or having a disease is broken :(. One of my columbian red fin tetra is sick, I'm not sure what it is, his fins are pale and he has a black looking fungal patches on the base of his tail he's acting a little funny but not too bad. Can anyone ID without pics? Treatment of the disease? Haven't changed anything in the tank for over a year except take a few fish out, may of came from a net/vaccum/bucket, they got used and disinfected on a tank that contains a couple angels I'm seeing if will pair that are new about 1 month old, it musta came from that. Or it could be the advise I took off here about not putting my water in buckets and getting the ph and temp with an airstone and heater, now all I do is get the water to the right temp and drive it in same as a python would do I just use buckets to save on declorinator got lazy I guess (I dont even have town water it's 7.2 and soft from a well that's spring fed and no one around to foul it up like in a city). I'm really at a loss where it came from or what it is I think I'm gonna have to QT him for a while but would like an ID I'm still looking just no luck so far.

Thank you very much to whom reads

Congrats on the streak, I've been keeping fish 20+ years as well and I've certainly seen a few...Columnaris killed almost twenty last heard with 13 days. But without a picture and you've been around long enough to recognize a fungus so guys the directions I would take. I'm not sure what's available on the other side of the pond but I use Jungles medication almost exclusively with great success, so 2-3 rounds Fungus Clear would be my first choice. So if it's not available over there compare their ingredients with what you can get locally, keep the water clean and lower the water temps into the mid to low 70's, and finally turn out the lights. Otherwise post a picture so we can all see.

Let's hope this is just a road bump to another 20 years without illness for yourself and the fish.

Yeh hopefully, I think qt is the best already have some fungus meds I'll compare to jungles I've heard of it before, may have been staring into aquariums that long but still a newb with diseases and identification I know the common ones, but this isn't like anything I've seen it's weird, ya learn something new with this hobby everyday I think it's what keeps us common back lol. Wish had a better camera I'd take a pic someone probly knows right off the bat. Black ich is all I can come up with but I don't think it is it's different like dark patches.

What's your opinion on a QT, I know most use another tank, but I like using a bucket ever since got the heaters with the suction cups that can fully submerge it makes a bucket even easier now. I use them instead of a tank because it's like a big cave of peace for the fish with no outside distractions to look at lol

Thank you very much for your response

I've used everything from rubbermaid totes, 5g buckets, and my bathtub for a rescued 16" jaguar cichlid. Just use a heater, sponge filter/air stone, and daily water changes if no filtration is used.

I don't have any experience with black ich but it looks easily diagnosed by looking at some pictures online.

HUKIT said:
I've used everything from rubbermaid totes, 5g buckets, and my bathtub for a rescued 16" jaguar cichlid. Just use a heater, sponge filter/air stone, and daily water changes if no filtration is used.

I don't have any experience with black ich but it looks easily diagnosed by looking at some pictures online.

That's awesome using your bathtub, yeh I checked out some pictures and I don't think it is unless it's a sever case of it but the speed it came on I dought it, I'm just gonna treat as a fungus and take my chances while doin more research.

Again thanks for calmin me down lol good to talk to someone else for a bit of reasurance, good luck with your future ventures my friend

dollabill420 said:
That's awesome using your bathtub, yeh I checked out some pictures and I don't think it is unless it's a sever case of it but the speed it came on I dought it, I'm just gonna treat as a fungus and take my chances while doin more research.

Again thanks for calmin me down lol good to talk to someone else for a bit of reasurance, good luck with your future ventures my friend

Edit: you don't happen to be a python user are ya? I'm skeptical about using em and need someone who's used em on alot of tanks. I thought declorinator with heavy metal and slime coat was pushing the limit haha paranoia keeps me running buckets :p, I still stare at my submergible heater with discontent haha (but god there nice), I think nova scotia might be a bit behind the world in aqua technology lol

I change over 500g weekly and if I had to lug buckets I'd be smashing my aquariums with a hammer, the Python is the greatest thing ever for PWC's...I have two a 100' downstairs and a 50' upstairs. Dose the entire tank with Prime and it doesn't get any easier unless someone else does it for you.

HUKIT said:
I change over 500g weekly and if I had to lug buckets I'd be smashing my aquariums with a hammer, the Python is the greatest thing ever for PWC's...I have two a 100' downstairs and a 50' upstairs. Dose the entire tank with Prime and it doesn't get any easier unless someone else does it for you.

Alrighty then can't go wrong with someone who uses them that much, only concern I had is the ph swing my water is 7.2 normally and outta the tap is usually 6.8. I couldn't of gotten any luckier with the fungus treatment either happen to already have jungles fungus eliminator :) bought it fir a friend a while ago and was quick demanding it back lol streaked to her yard and snatched it up haha

Thank you again, got everything figured out again (python run tommorow)

Back
Top Bottom