I'm giving away a free common goldfish for a pond in Metro Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

secretaccount

Aquarium Advice Newbie
MODS: Please move this if this is the wrong section to put it in. I decided to post it here so that someone in British Columbia would see it.

I recently saved a common goldfish from a cramped five gallon tank. It's the only reason I bought a 32 gallon aquarium just to keep it in better conditions while I try to find it a home where it would thrive.

It's a common feeder that's about five years old and around 7" give or take. The previous owner had it in a tank - which the fish obviously outgrew - and had no real intentions of buying anything bigger.

I'll be honest, there's been some damage done from ramming into the glass before I took the fish in.

The Bad:
- Due to hitting the glass, the fish had a disfigurement to it's frontal area. I've used Melafix and aquarium salt and it's healed, but the physical damage in terms of looks is done (although it's really not that bad).
- Because of the previous reason, it's a slower eater. Lately it's been getting better and I believe it'll get better, but for now it's eating slowly. It won't chase the food unless it drops right in front of his/hers face.
- There's dark fins/scales on the side which I can only assume are ammonia burns. It was cramped in a five gallon for all of its life (and was a prize fish won from a fair), so that would explain it.
- Sadly, I'm sure the growth of the fish has been stunted and will never reach it's full potential.

The Good:
- The goldfish has been coming along nicely in every way and it's been much more active, swimming around in a bigger tank.
- The wounds to the front have healed and there's just some loose skin around the front which doesn't seem to be much of an issue soon.
- While it won't be winning any award on looks, this fish is a trooper (the fish still looks really, really, really good!).
- My original thoughts of the fish never being able to eat again is gone. It's eating slowly, but surely it's getting better.
- It wasn't that orange when I first got it. Within a few days of bringing it home, it's turned a vibrant orange! Great news IMO.
- I believe this fish will still grow some more in an environment where it's given a chance.

If anyone on here has the space big enough and wants to take in an extra fish, let me know! I know it's crazy to go through all of this just to save one common feeder, but I'm fine with it. It'd be great to relocate into a pond to live out the rest of his/her life happy.

Let me know if any of you are interested!

Back
Top Bottom