I'm now an official member of the MTS club!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandGhoti

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:multi:

I'm getting ready to move by the end of this month and was looking for a tank to get up and running and cycled at the new place so I can provide temp housing for my fish for the in between of breaking down their current home and reassembling at the new place. So...today on craigslist I found a 25-gal hex (mirror back), stand, and all accessories for $65. Met the guy in a Walgreen's parking lot and did the exchange. Still need to do a check on the filter/heater so not sure if anything needs replaced, but for temp housing, not a bad deal. And when the move is all complete and the fish are back in their usual home, think I will turn the smaller tank into a betta/shrimp/snail compound (unless someone here can tell me whether having a mirror back would be bad for a betta, with the flaring and all).

Anyway, I officially have two tanks now!! :D

(unless someone here can tell me whether having a mirror back would be bad for a betta, with the flaring and all).
I don't think that would be good for a betta personally. I know some people say that flaring is good excercise, but I think its unnecessary stress. I would think a betta in a mirrored back tank would be constantly stressed, but I've never tried it, so can't say for sure. :) I'm sure other betta keepers will have some input.

Congrats on the pickup....thats a great deal!

JustOneMore20 said:
I don't think that would be good for a betta personally. I know some people say that flaring is good excercise, but I think its unnecessary stress. I would think a betta in a mirrored back tank would be constantly stressed, but I've never tried it, so can't say for sure. :) I'm sure other betta keepers will have some input.
I sort of figured that; trying to think like a fish! Well, that means I'll just have to pick up a 5-gallon at some point then to keep my future betta.

Think I will still do snails in the 25 (after initial fish rest stop) as a nice treat factory for my loaches. :D

Congrats on the new tank! I would not put a betta in a mirrored tank. I held a mirror up to a betta once (the last time I did that) and he flared and raced around the tank for 5 minutes straight and ripped up his tail. Some bettas may be calmer than the one I referred to, but overall, I think a betta in a mirrored tank is a bad idea.

My gfs betta flares up at the betta on the food package..and he hates me..every time I walk into the kitchen he flares up. He is ina nice comforatble 10 gallon.

Welcome to the club, trust me, it gets worse.

I started with a 10 gallon only a year and a half ago..now I have um...130 gallons between...6 tanks: 1 75FW, 2 10FWs, 1 5FW, 1 1FW, 1 29 SW...and am thinkin abotu pickin up a 55 gallon just to breed massive amount of feeder guppies for the 75 which is solid predators (3 JDs, 5 bichirs, 1 ABF, 3 wide mouth cats)

Congrats. Because there are so many seams in a hex tank, they are prone to leaking. Make sure the tank is completely level when you set it up.

Errr, I'm a "she." ;)
Yeah, I meant MTS = multiple tank syndrome, but if I do get it up and running, I will be putting MTS = malaysian trumpet snails in it. LOL.

If you look closely, you will see a :wink: next to David's post...probably poking fun at the abbreviation.

So, you have gone over to the "other side" of aquaria eh? It's not really a problem if you admit you "wanted" another tank as opposed to the lame excuse "I needed another tank". Try it and see if it makes a difference. :)

yeah I wouldnt recommend the mirrored back, flaring is stress the betta doesnt need to go through, if you want some "excercise" for him give him a toy to play around with, rather than getting angry at his reflection haha..

Not sure I will even get the thing going. I have to make sure it doesn't leak first. Then if it doesn't, one of AA's very nice members offered to make me a plexiglass top since all of the "extras" I got were disgusting and the top was so dried out it had split at the seam. And of course it's so easy to find a top for a 25-gal hex tank. This was Idiot Lesson #4,582 for me. :roll:

(But if I do: NO, a betta will not be going in there. I like my fishies happy, not stressed, so glad I asked.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom