Immediate Help Please! High Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a "media" to add to a canister filter that absorbs nitrates? What caused this?

80 is high but I've seen higher. I've dealt with 160+. Do 50% water changes back to back if needed to being it down. How old is tank? What's your stock? Filtration? Did you do anything new or maybe a gravel vac recently?

Like the other poster said, check your tap water also. What test kit are you using? API nitrAte kits are notorious for high readings. You have to shake rattle and roll that number 2 bottle like you wanna own it!! Seriously I hate that test.

Also anything die? Missing any fish? Over feeding? Water changes will help and bring it down but we need to try and find out why your numbers are high.

The Con

Yes API master kit. I just did 10g WC (40g) tank. All live plants. 2 Cory's died, bamboo shrimp, red cherry shrimp. Cleaned Fluval 406 well. Changed 2 filter pads (have 4), replaced carbon 2 pads out of 3. Put new Purigen. Added Prime and Stability
- will check again in morning.

Yes API master kit. I just did 10g WC (40g) tank. All live plants. 2 Cory's died, bamboo shrimp, red cherry shrimp. Cleaned Fluval 406 well. Changed 2 filter pads (have 4), replaced carbon 2 pads out of 3. Put new Purigen. Added Prime and Stability
- will check again in morning.

So you replaced all your filter pads leaving no old ones? Before I go any further I just wanna be sure that is in fact what you did. That I'd say could be the answer right there.

If you are using the API Master Kit, please bare in mind that these give high readings, purely because they are designed for test use in tanks with salt added.

It says this in the manual, and other test kits will give readings 20-40% lower. Have a look at the instructions under testing for Nitrate.

Only answer is to get another test kit from another company.

Mine is reading 40PPM and i know it isnt right as all of my fish are fine and the ammonia is low.

Hope this helps!

So you replaced all your filter pads leaving no old ones? Before I go any further I just wanna be sure that is in fact what you did. That I'd say could be the answer right there.

I have to agree here. If you changed any of the cartridges out and out and put in brand new ones and you already have fish that is the problem; some of the BB is now wiped out. If you fishless cycled you are now essentially doing a fish in cycle.

Changing filter elements will not result in high nitrates. High nitrates are cause by a perfectly functioning filter; filters are nitrate factories. Purigen is supposed to reduce nitrate, but I have never used it, so can't verify. Nitrates can be reduced by keeping the filter clean so that solid materials that find their way into the filter, are removed before they have a chance to break down.
So, high nitrates mean the filter is working as intended, but you haven't changed enough water, or frequently enough or you are allowing the build up of detritus in the filter, or all of the above.

Thank you BillD, I don't change out a lot of media all at once. There are 10 trays for media in that filter and most of them get "swished" in tank water. I'm going to add Seachem De*Nitrate to the filter today and do another WC.
The other Orange Lazer Cory is very pale today ;(

It's honestly a very easy problem to fix. Just do a few water changes, feed lightly, and your levels will go down. Then make weekly water changes a regular part of your routine. Test the water before each change and that should let you know if you're overfeeding your fish. You have a great filter. It's going to convert all of the ammonia to nitrate. That's just what it does to keep the fish safe. Feeding carefully, cleaning the filter and changing the water is what we have to do. You have most of the work done already! :)

The WC and cleaning I did last night did nothing to take level down. Still at +/-80 nitrAte. I did another 10g WC this morning ( 40g tank) - what usually causes this? I'm now wondering if Cory is going to make it. Very pale. Not orange

Changing filter elements will not result in high nitrates. High nitrates are cause by a perfectly functioning filter; filters are nitrate factories. Purigen is supposed to reduce nitrate, but I have never used it, so can't verify. Nitrates can be reduced by keeping the filter clean so that solid materials that find their way into the filter, are removed before they have a chance to break down.
So, high nitrates mean the filter is working as intended, but you haven't changed enough water, or frequently enough or you are allowing the build up of detritus in the filter, or all of the above.

From what I have read, Purigen seems to reduce nitrates by eliminating precursors. I don't think it actually takes the nitrates and removes them. So, if you have high nitrates from the tap, (like me :nono:) Purigen may help in reducing further nitrate buildup, but you are stuck with the ones already coming from the tap.

One very important question has never been answered. Does your tap water contain nitrates? If not then do a few LARGE water changes back to back. You don't need to throw away money on resins, and chemicals. Water changes will solve your issue. Once the nitrates are down, regular weekly 50% water changes should keep the nitrates at an acceptable level.

bkiggy said:
The WC and cleaning I did last night did nothing to take level down. Still at +/-80 nitrAte. I did another 10g WC this morning ( 40g tank) - what usually causes this? I'm now wondering if Cory is going to make it. Very pale. Not orange

You'll need to do larger water changes. You'll have to do them until the levels drop. If you went a long time without doing changes it'll take a lot to get your tank back in order.

When you did your change was there a lit of detritus in the gravel?

I usually do 10/15g every 5 to 7 days and always vac gravel. I have found out that I do over feed which is an issue. ;(
-my water does not contain nitrates.
I can't do very much at a time, I have a severely bad back and I'm only 35. I don't have any water sources near the tanks to get a python. I have to carry 5g buckets through the house

Back
Top Bottom