Importance of consistent lighting period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm about to start working a rotating schedule that will make it impossible for me to keep to the same schedule of turning lights on and off. How much does this matter to the fish? I'll be able to keep the lighting on for the same amount of time each day, just not during the same hours.

I could buy a timer, but I have a couple nocturnal fish and I would prefer to be there and feed them when the lights go off if it doesn't matter to them.

Anyone know about this?

Interesting idea. I cant see it would be that hard on the fish. Though they do say consistency is important.

Welcome :n00b:
I haven't always used a timer and used to keep odd hours and sometimes would forget to turn the tanks on or off. The fish did fine. Don't forget there is always room light--one of my tanks never has its light on--it can't be when my daughter is napping, so the fish get light just from the room. They have lived that way for 2 years and they spawn every once in awhile. I'm sure your fish will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom