Importance of TDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya the difficulty with TDS in the tank is you really don't know what you are reading..

You are measuring EVERYTHING!!

I would think it is the play sand...

My tap is 370!!

Same water I sell my rams from!(not breed)

I have to have it or could I blow up!:eek:

My rams are my main focus for years now so to go a day without necessities is stressful for me.:oops:

We all know stress is not good.:whistle:

ordered mine from BRS as I needed to get more DI resin and filters for my ro anyways!;)

Try not to confuse TDS with conductivity. Not all dissolved solids produce conductivity as only solids that produce ions when dissolved in water create conductivity. Since conductivity is what the meter is measuring, there may be other dissolved solids present contributing towards the true TDS.

The most accurate way to measure TDS is evaporation in a lab controlled environment and weigh the remaining solids. Most TDS Meters are calibrated at 25 degrees C using sodium chloride and will permit an error of around 15%

The most important aspect of TDS is the possibility of large and rapid fluctuations and using the value to determine the stability of the dissolved solids. For Someone who changes lots of water frequently this should not change much and the same can be said for someone who changes less water less frequently (although TDS may rise over time)

It is true when we say that most fish will adapt to our water but it is also true when we say that fish have optimum levels whether we are referring to TDS, ph or temperature. All aspects of a fishes environment will contribute to the longevity of the fish.

370 is really quite high. My tap is 60ppm and my tanks sit around 150ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

370 is really quite high. My tap is 60ppm and my tanks sit around 150ppm.

Thank you sir!(y)
370 is my average ,as it really doesn't vary much.
I use the TDS for my water prep using 100% ro for my breeding.
Having 60 TDS out of tap could explain why and how many say GBR can be breed in tap.
This goes more to every ones water is different for me(well and all of you!).
Thanks again!:thanks:

Thank you sir!(y)
370 is my average ,as it really doesn't vary much.
I use the TDS for my water prep using 100% ro for my breeding.
Having 60 TDS out of tap could explain why and how many say GBR can be breed in tap.
This goes more to every ones water is different for me(well and all of you!).
Thanks again!:thanks:

Not a problem :) yeah I believe some people on here have virtually no TDS at all. One lady from hmm can't remember where she lives but she had to mineralise her water for keeping plants.

It's so true that all waters are different. Especially with the things we add/do with it. I can't imagine the water will be optimal for all the different species of fish I have in my tank. I might get a fish die every once in a while that can't be explained and I have to put it down to how it handles regulating the parameters. In general they seem to do very well. Except my angelfish which I have just started a post on in the unhealthy section.....again though, I don't know if I can attribute this one to the water under the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom