Importing a Thai Betta - The experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pic now! We demand pictures! He he.
Oh also meant to weigh in on the mopani. I hated it when I used it. It had a whitish film on it for like a month and then released tannins for another 2 months at least. I no longer use mopani. I also couldn't find nice pieces of it. It all looked like pieces that better fit a reptile habitat.

Last edited:
The pieces I found were great, it is hit and miss though. I didn't like the grossness! I like tannins but it was like it was soured. Like sour tea.

So pushy here, demanding pics.

Well here is the tail,
60074-albums14756-picture71996.jpg

and a bit of attitude
60074-albums14756-picture71997.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way. It was meant to be a joke. I have a terrible sense of humor.

Please not any reason to apologize!!! I took it as a joking comment, not at all in any negative way!

Thought I had posted in response to your comment but I have lousy service at work and my comment must not have sent.

Showing off the Betta is good. My photos are somehow always flipped upside down / even when I hold the phone in the correct manner. I have to load, and check them, and rotate them, just to get them up side right!!! So it is always tedious, lol. The more pics the more annoying. But good because I love to share them and helpful stories, good preferred, but even bad can help people too.

I must admit I still wonder in that photo. Lots of online photos for house buying didn’t look the same colour when I got around there. One light pink was actually a reasonable purple feature wall.

Hmmm. For the fish, I can see maybe had a very strong light on him. But lemony yellow vs. Orangey yellow???

I just got a new actinic light / though 4 feet maybe when I have a minute I can put that on the fish and see if there's a difference.

Paint in a house I like to do. Mind you not the entire thing just some rooms. As you mention differing color on the computer screens or lighting can really make a difference as with warm or cool lighting!

Had thought about adding the internal filter, and decided against it for now, I put on a Fluval Aqua Clear 20 which is the kind of filter on the Edge tanks.

Been just doing pwc, the added previously dried leaves got a bit of fungus, but after a couple days it seemed to be clearing up. The little tank had a bunch of tiny bits of stuff in it probably from the tiny fine leaves coming off of the plants. That was an additional reason to want to use the AC Fluval filter, as I know it will kick butt and take care of the water.

With the filter I used the normal foam and biomax media pellets and put it up this morning. Tonight I plan to cut out a hunk of foam from an active good tank or a half pouch of Media from the 5G Spec and put it in the Betta's to "cycle" it. Another benefit of the same type filter.

Water is tinted and left out the carbon for now, was a 4.5G pwc this morning because of the weird leaves and all the particles.

This week I haven't been adding the max dose of Epsom salts. Just the teaspoon per gallon amount. Figuring the frequent pwc should be a good bridge to this next week.

Will need to try and figure out the mechanical timer so the Betta tank can be on a schedule.

Also due to a busy schedule have only fed him in the cup one time. Probably will do it tonight so I don't feel guilty. He gets pellets AM and PM and a couple at lights out. Still considering a Mystery snail to be a pellet cleaner upper.

One night he seemed to head over to the big pwc cup which is the same as the frozen defrosted feeding cup and seemed put off when I didn't scoop him up! lol :whistle:

Things seem to still be going well.

What I don't care for is the starting a brand new tank which isn't fully cycled and doesn't really have the seasoning and clarity of a established tank. There is a real difference in how they run/look, that's for sure.

Max Epsom salts was 1 tablespoon per gallon
seems to equate to 14.3 grams per 3.785 Liters

Aquarium salt was appx. 1 teaspoon per gallon
4.2 grams per 3.785 Liters

Wow, that was tough to get written down. Lol

Those were dosed at the same time. For a shorter period of time to help with the fin rot.

Thank you - he is really pretty. Got some marble gene apparently and has a developed a little more /a few whiter spots on one side.

He can hardly find food unless I put it in front of his mouth at the corner of the tank. Maybe the brain is a little slow... So happy he recovered.

Having the leaves in the water is a good idea too. He does rest at the bottom or on or under the leaves, so I still worry about him getting fin rot again. He has such long fins and the water flow isn't fast but definitely moving and I think he is lazy. He has a couple stem plants to lay on an might grab a couple more stems to lay on top of the water for him.

The light on that tank isn't too bright and just barely keeps the plants growing as it is now. Adding more stems might block the light to the bottom.

Considering a big Betta leaf.

Pics from August 2019 almost 9 months from receiving him!

60074-albums14756-picture72199.jpg

Pic from 8 months ago
60074-albums14756-picture71990.jpg

Look at the blue rim on his tail!
60074-albums14756-picture72200.jpg

That blue isn't showing as nicely through the lighting in the second pic. First pic is pretty accurate color.

The pieces I found were great, it is hit and miss though. I didn't like the grossness! I like tannins but it was like it was soured. Like sour tea.

So pushy here, demanding pics.

Well here is the tail,
60074-albums14756-picture71996.jpg

and a bit of attitude
60074-albums14756-picture71997.jpg

Great job with him. So impressive

And it didn't seem to be that updates would continue but...

Here is the Phoenix now - continuing changes to the body color

60074-albums14756-picture72334.jpg

Here are the his pals - one Cherry shrimp mutt and a few snails

60074-albums14756-picture72331.jpg

60074-albums14756-picture72330.jpg

And then there is the condition he lives with, which is increasing in severity

Growth on right side
60074-albums14756-picture72332.jpg

Top down view shows a new one starting above the right eye and the left side has a couple new ones - 3 now.

60074-albums14756-picture72333.jpg

He is active pretty much and likes to eat 2 times a day, or if I come by the tank usually expects a couple pellets.

His fins look great. He gets pwc's, usually a gallon out of his 6.6G tank every week, but sometimes 10 days. I use his water to water my plants which some times he ends up getting a 2 gallon change once in awhile.

Mostly eats Hikari Bio-Gold as his staple, but gets a few Bug Bites, and some Fancy Guppy pellets, with a bit of frozen Marine Cuisine and Brine Shrimp Spirulina. It is difficult to make it to the far away lfs which carries fresh/ live Brine shrimp but gets some of them too when I get them.

Here is some long reading about the growths I found interesting
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/dragon-scale-betta-cutaneous-tumour-image-heavy.57585/

Back
Top Bottom