Indoor winter pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acpart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been researching on the internet for a winterizing strategy that meets my particular situation with only partial success so I thought some of you may have advice and also suggested websites.

I have a 40 gallon porch pond that's coming inside for the winter (I'm in the Boston area, zone 5-6). It will be in front of sliding glass doors with a western exposure, so it will get afternoon sun. It's currently on my front porch with eastern exposure but that won't work from inside. It will have 6-10 adult giant danios. I am willing to get a heater to keep the water at about 70º. Here are my questions:

1. Does keeping a pond inside under the above conditions make it similar to keeping a year-round pond in a warmer climate, or is the low light an issue?
2. Is it possible to maintain some sort of plant life without adding additional lighting (which would be very difficult in the back of my kitchen).
3. Any suggestions about how to deal with my plants (listed below) which would keep them alive in the pond: taro, hardy water lily, water lettuce, water hyacinth, mare's tail, water iris (blue/yellow flag)

Any specific suggestions or website recommendations would be appreciated.

Aliza

Aliza,
Why not set up an aquarium of a similar size? you could prolly solve all of your problems that way.

1. As long as you keep the temp up, the fish should be fine (though I suspect the danios would prefer water that was a bit warmer).

2. As long as you get some sun it should be ok.

The Hardy lilly, mare's tail, and I think the iris (depenidng on if it is a hardy variety) would be fine left outside all winter as long as the water does not freeze solid, but I would assume such a small pond would. I think taros are tropical, so you should be able to keep it alive indoors. I have only every seen the lettuce and hyacinth as annuals around here, but I would imagine you might be able to keep them year round. These might not do so hot as they like a lot of sun.

As stated before, I would suggest just starting and indoor tank and throw the plants in. If not, then perhaps something like a feed trough or rubbermaid tub would suit your needs well.

Thank you for your responses. My pond is already currently in a stock tank so I'll be removing the water, bringing the tank inside and putting the same water back in. I have 2 reasons for not simply starting an aquarium: I wanted to try to maintain the pond as a unit year-round. Also, I have freed up a chunk of floor space for the pond, but have no more room anywhere for an aquarium (too many gecko tanks). I guess I'll set it up and if plants start dying I'll cut back, remove or get additional lights.

Aliza

Back
Top Bottom