inexpensive flourescent lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisanthrope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have followed the advice somewhat of what I had read on the krib about buying T8 flourescents from a hardware store rather than overpriced tubes at the LFS. I went to home depot and bought 3 tubes of Plant/aquarium 48" lights. they were actually T12 because the T8 didnt fit my hood. They said plant/aquarium and were 6 bucks compared to $25 so what the heck.... They give off the most awful yellow light!

Is it that I bought the T12 instead of T8 or is it what I get for being cheap?
Does anyone know how to get around buying the overpriced LFS lights without settling for yellow?

Pay attention to the color temp of the bulb. I would guess that the T8 bulbs don't fit in your end caps. If you look around you can find some 6500k or 6700k bulbs that will give off a nice white light.

I agree - color temp is key - what looks good out of the water sometimes looks very different under the water!

my home depot recently started carrying the 6500k T12s - two for $5.50 - look for the two-pack ... I believe they're called Ultra Daylight - the bulbs are also sold individually for $6 each in bright blue and white packaging.

although a T12 on a normal ballast is very dim, if you run that same bulb on a "Fulham Workhorse" or an ICECap ballast, it is very bright... just plan on replacing your bulbs every 6 months, but at around $3 each that is a great bargin.

Back
Top Bottom