info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello ive been doing fresh water for a long time never considered saltwater till now

I have a 90 gal tank with a marineland c530 canister

Iam woundering what id need to get start ruff cost involved for start up

Also looking for some good beginner websites i can read up on

To start, a canister isn't the best bet. Look up a refugium. They always seem great. Also, saltwater is certainly not cheap. I have a Biocube 29, and the first day picking it up with equipment was around $625. Granted I also bought the tank, but for a 90 you'll need a bigger filter and a pretty heavy duty heater. Also if you plan on coral, the lights aren't cheap

I would look at heaters, protein skimmers, power heads, live rock, (powerful lights if coral), sand, I would also recommend for the future investing in a sump before you start as will be beneficial place to put heaters and skimmer etc out the way and where you an set up a refugium. Also I would look into where you can get ro di water from as this will help a lot

I would look at heaters, protein skimmers, power heads, live rock, (powerful lights if coral), sand, I would also recommend for the future investing in a sump before you start as will be beneficial place to put heaters and skimmer etc out the way and where you an set up a refugium. Also I would look into where you can get ro di water from as this will help a lot

Right on. Starting in salt water is not cheap. Research all the equipment needed and set it up the right way the first time and you will enjoy it alot more. Even if you have to buy equipment a little at a time and put it up till you have it all.
A sump with refugium is recommended if you are crafty you can make one instead of buying it that takes some of the cost of the sump down. When you buy the pump make sure its rated for saltwater so you will get good service out of it. Power heads to help with dead spots are a must. I love my saltwater tanks but the first one I did was built a little at a time and I also was learning along the way. Still learning but best lesson learned is dont start a saltwater build until you have all the equipment needed.

Back
Top Bottom