Injured or sick Bristle star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frost

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had the Bristle star for about 3 or 4 months with no problem and today I got home from school and I checked on my tank and it looks like his insides are falling out of a wound I don't know what might have caused this but if anyone might know please tell me ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447198947.168504.jpg here is a picture

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

What are you water params??
They have the capability to heal themselves, providing no one is trying to kill them, and they water params are in order.

Nitrates are really high that's probably it but how come it's not affecting anything else?

Nitrates are really high that's probably it but how come it's not affecting anything else?

how often do you do water changes ?

nitrates are high whats high ?

how often do you feed ?

How much?

What are all your parameters ? Numbers please don't say ok or high that don't help us help you

if nothing is done to correct the problem in time other things will be affected !

I would do a good size water change as soon as you can

how often do you do water changes ?

how much stock ?

Last edited:
Substrate cleaning

I need to remove dirt from the substrate to lower nitrate levels. Does anybody know how to do this without harming the fish and removing to much substrate. (The substrate is crushed coral)

I need to remove dirt from the substrate to lower nitrate levels. Does anybody know how to do this without harming the fish and removing to much substrate. (The substrate is crushed coral)

The dirt on your sub-straight is cayno

what needs to be done

1. while siphoning out water for water change suck out as much of the film as possible with out sucking out a lot of sub-straight

2. add circulation as I don't see any power heads

3. large water changes will help

4. you don't have a lot of stock so ease up the feeding

5. shorten light cycle till issue is resolved

I do water changes once a week usually change about 1/3 of the water I have a 40 falling tank.

I have a color card for nitrates yellow is safe dark red is the worst right now it is just a plain red.

I feed once a day

Usually just a pinch or two

I feed the bristle star separate because he doesn't get anything from the flakes. Feed him once a day.

Temp is about 73 F

Salinity is about 1.023

Ammonia is a light green on the color card which is safe

I have two clownfish and a yellow tang

I do water changes once a week usually change about 1/3 of the water I have a 40 falling tank.
bigger water changes will help a lot also water circulation cut back on lighting
I have a color card for nitrates yellow is safe dark red is the worst right now it is just a plain red.
stripes are not accurate I need numbers
I feed once a day
Feed 2x a week
Usually just a pinch or two
as long as they eat it in a 3 min time frame
I feed the bristle star separate because he doesn't get anything from the flakes. Feed him once a day.
What do you feed him / feed him 2x a week wait till he withdraws his insides
Temp is about 73 F
78*to 80* ideal
Salinity is about 1.023
1.023 is ok but 1.025 is better
Ammonia is a light green on the color card which is safe
First let me address this invest in a liquid test kit stripes are not accurate and I did say numbers
wheres the rest of the parameters
I have two clown fish and a yellow tang
Tang in a 40g is a no no they need at least a 75g or larger tank

*all parameters with numbers not colors*
nitrate
nitrite
ammonia
ph
phosphates

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom