Injured Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night I started him on the pimafix, melafix, and the fungus guard as well as adding stress zyme with the aloe. So far so good.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep us posted, this is def a first for me to witness so I am very interested in the progress of your oscar. Best of luck, you're doing a great thing here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He is too squirmy for pictures as of late! Not to mention that his water is green due to the fungus medicine which doesn't help the lighting. Tonight he ate a chunk of bloodworms. Is it okay to give him frozen chunks? For my other fish I thaw them first but the LPS lady said she just drops a cube in there and her cichlids eat it like that. I couldn't do water changes due to the medication but so far so good. I checked the ammonia every night, it never got past 0.25ppm but I added Prime every 48 hours anyway. Today I did a 50% change and added the second dose of fungus medication. I've also been adding Pimafix and Melafix according to the directions and have been adding Stress Zyme to water changes for the aloe. All of this along with keeping AQ salt at about 4 tablespoons per 10 gallons (that's on the higher end, but not the highest, of the non-iodized salt dose that the fish doctor gave me.)

The large wound is not so much red anymore. It's now more white and black. I'm hoping that the black is his skin growing in as all the other white wounds on his body are healed and his normal scale color now. I wish I knew what the healing process was supposed to look like so I would know which direction we are headed in!

Attachments

• WP_20141101_22_39_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141101_22_39_01_Pro.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20141101_22_39_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141101_22_39_31_Pro.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 76
  • WP_20141101_22_43_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141101_22_43_10_Pro.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 78
He does seem to be healing, there's just a lot of damage to recover from. Its a great sign that he's eating and yes, blood worms are fine.

very nice! Seems as though he's making a recovery:) I feed frozen, it thaws so fast in tropical tanks..glad to hear about actively eating, surely.thats a good sign.

Thanks guys! This experience makes me want to go and learn more about fish ailments and treatments!

Nice save!

Melafix has tea tree oil and I think pimafix is bay leaf. Google "medicinal properties of ..." To learn more, or look at the PDR of herbal medicines in the library (it's often at Whole Foods too). Melafix is anti-many things and gentle (one of the few essential oils ok for babies). Herbs aren't always safer and they can be unpredictable, but they also often have side benefits that are complimentary to the primary treatment.

The web page for API stress coat has links to a study on using it for wound care. That may help inform you too.

You're clearly doing an amazing job, the only thing I'd add is be mindful of how much you add to the water at one time, as it can induce osmotic stress.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks trennamw! Today I can hardly see where the open wound was and we started switching bacl to plain ole non-medicated or salted water. Tonight a 25% change. Tomorrow night I will do another 25% change and Saturday, when I have more time, I will drip acclimate him back to completely plain water, do a 100% change and run carbon in the filter. So far he's eating flakes, bloodworms, and ghost shrimp. Im failing miserably at keeping the shrimp alive, though haha. He doesn't care for brine shrimp and I haven't tried blackworms yet as I'm trying tosave enough to raise a colony of them first.

Great news!! Pics?

Back
Top Bottom