injury? or irregular growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry if its hard to see. It has also been hanging out half in and half out of the water. This guy and his buddy are in with a male betta.

071912100333-1.jpg

Looks to me like the shell is cracked. I have heard of people patching holes in snail shells with clean eggshell and superglue. Another good idea would be to put him in his own container with clean water and part of a cuttlebone for extra calcium to help him heal.

Alyxx said:
Looks to me like the shell is cracked. I have heard of people patching holes in snail shells with clean eggshell and superglue. Another good idea would be to put him in his own container with clean water and part of a cuttlebone for extra calcium to help him heal.

I patch a giant African land snail shell back together with aquarium grade silicon. Snail went on to live another 4 years and grew tremendously in that time. Not sure it would would work on a aquatic snail though.

Alyxx said:

Thanks! Like regular super glue? Is that stuff inert? I need to look this up, but I just didn't have the slightest clue where to start.

FishontheRock said:
I patch a giant African land snail shell back together with aquarium grade silicon. Snail went on to live another 4 years and grew tremendously in that time. Not sure it would would work on a aquatic snail though.

That's interesting. The only problem I see with that is that most silicones take one to three days to cure before being considered aquarium safe.

These are my first ever snails so I didn't know if maybe it was some kinda awkward new growth or what lol

Pure superglue gel is what you need. Cyanoacrylate is the chemical you are looking for. Reefers use it to glue polyps into place right in the tank, it needs no curing time. Search the forums for good brands.

Alyxx said:
Pure superglue gel is what you need. Cyanoacrylate is the chemical you are looking for. Reefers use it to glue polyps into place right in the tank, it needs no curing time. Search the forums for good brands.

Perfect. Thanks a million

christine2012 said:
Perfect. Thanks a million

No problem. Good luck fixing it! Also, peel the membrane out of the inside of the eggshell so it doesn't start to rot. And be sure to use a big enough piece so that no glue gets on the snail's body. It will be able to grow new shell and fix itself under the patch eventually.

christine2012 said:
I think my poor snail has passed away. How can I tell for sure? I'd hate to pull him and him still be alive...

He will have a strong smell coming from him, they can also half hang out the shell. :(

Back
Top Bottom