Input for a low-tech Endlers setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an empty standard 5g that I was thinking of setting up for a pair or trio of Endlers. I have sand, gravel, or pebbles that I could use for substrate. Lots and lots of willow moss, pennywort, marimo balls, and najas available to use.

I currently have a 2g in the room where this tank would be full of plant clippings and 1 oddball nano shrimp I picked up somewhere along the way. The water temperature is consistent because of room temperature and location...would I actually need a filter in the 5g?

I bred Endlers years ago when they were still difficult to find (yes, I'm that old) but I'd like some input on this type of setup.

I have been keeping endlers for just over 2 years now. They are resilient fish. I have had 5 in 1/2 gallon tank with no filter or heater just gravel and hornwort they did amazing they even had baby's in there. In a five g tank they will be perfectly fine. I would suggest sand as it looks the best IMO.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I have been keeping endlers for just over 2 years now. They are resilient fish. I have had 5 in 1/2 gallon tank with no filter or heater just gravel and hornwort they did amazing they even had baby's in there. In a five g tank they will be perfectly fine. I would suggest sand as it looks the best IMO.

Thanks! What type of water change schedule would you recommend for this type of setup?

I definitely want to do a sand substrate. What color do you think looks best? I'm trying to decide between black or a combo or black and natural.

Thanks! What type of water change schedule would you recommend for this type of setup?

Personally I had that tank when I had just started fish keeping and did water changes bi-monthly:(
For your setup I would do a weekly 15% water change so just under a gallon.
If you wanted a filter I would do a simple sponge filter.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Personally I had that tank when I had just started fish keeping and did water changes bi-monthly:(
For your setup I would do a weekly 15% water change so just under a gallon.
If you wanted a filter I would do a simple sponge filter.

My order of a trio and 3 fry arrived today, all look good! I'm definitely going with the sponge filter, thanks again.

+1 for the sponge filter, and those endlers will definitely thrive with all that vegetation. Just be careful, as they will overpopulate the tank rather quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just picked one up, nice and quiet too!

Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom