instead of a python....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For doing the cleaning in the tank I would just stick with the python to be safe, but for just doing the water change you can put a pump in the sump (you won't grab any fish there) and pump the water out of the sump.

Safe for all your critters, plus you probably already have pump in there. Just pump it to where ever you want.

I guess this is if you have a sump. If not... just ignore me!

I went out and spent ~$70 on tubing (1", I think), filter caps and T-fittings. Then I put tubing into each of my 3 tanks, connected them together and through a piece of tubing with a screw-on fitting. Each tank has a valve on it.
When I need to do a water change, I put the loose end of the tubing out the window, open the valve for a tank, drain it, close that valve, then repeat for the other two. When it's time to refill, I've got a powerhead (can't remember what it is) with a flow rate of ~250Gph (I think).
I attach the loose end of the tubing to it, drop it in a garbage can of water, then turn it on. As the tanks fill, I turn off each of their valves. When all the tanks are full, I turn off the powerhead and toss the extra water in my garbage can on my lawn. Easy peasy.

I just use a 1 1/4 in tube to syphon out the window into the gravel which is becoming quite the patch of grass/weeds and flowers. Haha I will however give the flotech 1380 gph sump pump I have a shot when I get the 250 up n runnin. I figure the fish have the whole other side of the tank to go to for the short amount of time while I'm draining. The fx5's also allow for you to plug an extra fitting into the outtake plug so you can use the filter to pump out water too.

I live in ca so....what's winter again? Haha

I use a lee's gravel vac 6' of the 1/2" hose it comes with, a ball valve for a garden hose w/ threaded to barb adapter, a water bed filling thingy and 25-50' of RV hose(white w/ blue stripe)

Winter its this thing that happens everywhere but california.

I use a lee's gravel vac 6' of the 1/2" hose it comes with, a ball valve for a garden hose w/ threaded to barb adapter, a water bed filling thingy and 25-50' of RV hose(white w/ blue stripe)

Winter its this thing that happens everywhere but california.

I'm actually very interested in this design, I know your pretty busy with your stand but when you get a chance can you snap a quick pic and pm it to me? That would be much appreciated.

yeah sure, I will PM them to you ASAP maybe tonight or tomorrow when I can wear my undies all day and not get yelled at for it.....for sure I will get them ASAP, give me a little time and Itll be like xmas in april

speaking of which, check out my build thread, I updated to current on it, its uber sexy now. got the glass painted and about 6" of the tops of the overflow rear glass was painted for aesthetics, paint came out awesome, not a single drip....thank someone for that spray can trigger adapter. felt like I was painting a car again

Back
Top Bottom