Instead of tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael15

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have been watching a lot of videos on my soon to be fish which are
1 - Dwarf Gourami
1 - Bristlenose Pleco
8 - Harlequin Rasbora
8 - Von rio tetras
and 10 - kuhil loaches.
Now something that I have keep on seeing in each video were tetras. Not saying That anything is wrong with tetras but a lot of people have then and i want something different. One fish that has caught my eye has been the Dwarf neon rainbow fish an i was Wondering if that could replace the von rio tetras?

What size tank? I had a group of dwarf neon (praecox) rainbows in a 55, heavily planted and the recommended sex ratio, and they still beat the snot out of each other. The dominant male eventually killed most of the rest. I have a little larger species of rainbows in my 125 now, they've been fine.

Thread fin rainbows, Gertrudae rainbows, and furcata rainbows are other options.

It's a 21 gallon, But my LFS just got a huge shipment of different barbs in and 3 really stand out to me and those are the Snakeskin barb, Black ruby barb , and Five banned barb but with those recommend rainbow fish they don't carry them.

Last edited:
Never heard of a 21 gallon tank, what are the dimensions? In any case even dwarf rainbows need at least a 48" tank. Barbs are notorious fin nippers, I wouldn't mix them with a gourami.

Not all Barbs are nippy. Tiger Barbs are the ones that probably have the biggest reputation for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cherry Barbs can be quite nice and color up great. Just make sure to get both sexes. Males are red and females turn lovely bronze with red fins.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are pretty nice but Their pretty common and i'm looking for something uncommon like the chili rasbora matter fact this and the ember tetra are actually 2 good examples. lol I might have solved my own thread.

Back
Top Bottom