interchangable equipment for SW and FW aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquablue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've owned FW tanks for a long time... I'm trying to decide if I have the money/time to set up a SW tank. It would save a lot of money for me if I could use some of my FW equipment for the SW tank... but I don't know if there will be conflicts, and have had a hard time finding information... Can someone please let me know which of the following FW items I can use in a SW tank?

-Gravel
-Heater
-Rocks
-Plastic Decorations
-Air stone/pump

Thanks everyone

Heater a possibly decorations/rocks although I would not recommend the decorations/rocks. You could start with a LR puchase and some aragnite sand if you keep the load low.

LittlePuff said:
What do you want to put in the saltwater tank?

Kim

I love info, so here goes: I didn't know what I put into the tank would matter.
Could you give me some examples on what I would have to consider depending on what I put in the tank?

I love info, so here goes: I didn't know what I put into the tank would matter.
Could you give me some examples on what I would have to consider depending on what I put in the tank?
It all depends on the size of your tank

And if you wanted fish that need sand, then your gravel wouldn't work. If you were doing a reef tank, then I'd worry about the decorations not being safe for them. If you want inverts, has any of your equipment been exposed to copper? Just a few examples.

Kim

aquablue said:
-Gravel -- No, unless you were already using aragonite based sand.
-Heater -- Yes.
-Rocks -- probably not a problem, but unless they are 'lace rock' they won't look anything like the Live Rock that I'm going to suggest you use for a primary bio filter.
-Plastic Decorations -- safe to use, but fairly tacky IMO
-Air stone/pump -- not needed, and harmful to corals if you ever get any

Back
Top Bottom