Introducing clams from local waters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wondering lately if it would be possible to introduce a clam or two from a local river into my 38 gal. I saw a reference to these somewhere before, but I have had no luck finding any pertinent info. So my main concerns are:

Should I quarantine these critters before introducing them?

What do they eat? Am I right in thinking that they filter food/ organisms floating in the water?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

[/b]

giles....

A couple of things to consider:

First of all...the clams from your local rivers and streams are probably adapted to much cooler water than you maintain in your aquarium. Riverine clams are usually pretty demanding of oxygen levels and the warmer the water the less oxygen is dissolved in it.

Secondly...if you do choose to put locally collected clams in your tank then quarantining them will be essential. Clams often harbor parasites that could be transmitted to your fish.

Thirdly....yes....clams are filter feeders and can do an admirable job of 'polishing' your water for you. Don't expect miracles, however! :)

Fourth (Fourthly?? Hmmmmm :roll: )...it can be difficult to tell if a clam has died in your aquarium before it begins to decompose and really make a mess of your water parameters. You have to check them pretty much daily.

Hope this helps a bit!

Ditto to all of the above. Clams are sold in lfs occassionally but they njeed to be in a well established tank that would provide plenty of food.

Thank-you for the links and info. I think to be on the safe side I will save this idea for a future project where I may try to somewhat replicate the conditions (summer) of one of my favorite local rivers and populate and plant it to suit. Clams, crayfish and maybe rock bass and sunfish.

Back
Top Bottom