Is 10g nano practical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightsent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m headed off to college next year. I plan to get a single-person dorm room. My family and I are discussing plans to move my current 75g saltwater tank to a place more accessible by them so that they can care for it while i’m away (my dad still makes jokes about eating the fish, but I can tell he’s getting really attached to them haha)

Thing is, while i’m a relatively solitary person, I don’t really want to be alone. I’ve never moved houses before. My life has been very consistent. I love the idea of getting a 10gal freshwater tank for my dorm room (10gal is the max size allowed) as something to care for and remind me of home, but i’m worried about how A) stressful it might be on the fish to move in&out each year and B) if it would be worth it to re-setup the tank so often? Alternatively, I could wait a few years and get an apartment so i’d have something more permanent?

Really, the main thing i’m looking for is how stressful this would be on the fish, how badly it would affect its wellbeing, and how easy or difficult this would be to accomplish?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place - I didn’t see a freshwater nano forum or anything..

I’ve moved tanks so often I’ve lost count. Betta’s are very personable and you can keep them in a small bucket while moving the tank. I usually empty my tanks down to the last few inches of water, then slide it onto a board to carry and relocate. Keeps the bottom supported and minimizes pressure points.

Are we talking a few hours to relocate or several?

I’ve moved tanks so often I’ve lost count. Betta’s are very personable and you can keep them in a small bucket while moving the tank. I usually empty my tanks down to the last few inches of water, then slide it onto a board to carry and relocate. Keeps the bottom supported and minimizes pressure points.

Are we talking a few hours to relocate or several?

The place i’ll be attending is 1-1.5 hours from home

// I was planning on getting a Betta and a few Ember Tetras, if that helps?

I've moved alot of my fish and tanks around too. My wife jokes about this one community of barbs being moved so often. I think if it wasn't weekly or monthly you'd be fine with that stocking

Back
Top Bottom