Is a Filter necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 58ga Salt Tank with 40lbs LR, 3 inch substrate, Red Sea Protein skimmer, Power Head 402, Coralife Aqualife Power Compact, 1 High Fin Red Banded Goby, 1 Anthias, 2 False Percs, 20 hermits, 9 Turbo Snails, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 7 Med Mushrooms. Our Fluval 304 Filter has caused us our last headache (It does not seal anymore). We have read that a filter is not neccessary. I was wondering what the thoughts are in this forum. If it is necessary, can anyone recommend a reliable filter that is not plagued with issues like the Fluval 304.

Most people just use LR for filtration. That's all I have. As I recall, it is recommended to have a pound or more of LR per gal. So you'd probably want to add some more LR.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Glad to see another ne from Minnesota here!
As gator mentioned, you can up the amount of LR (goal is 1.5-2lbs/gal) and skip the canister. They do cause headaches. However, they do provide you with a nice place to run chemical/mechanical filtration.

I use an Eheim 2013 on my 32 gal, beatifully reliable filter that keeps my water crystal, no problems with it, but Yes, you can just use lr.

Back
Top Bottom