Is a Heater Required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon aquarium that I'm currently trying to decided what to put in it.

I'm going to choose something from the following list: Neon Tetras, Julii Cory Catfish, Male Guppies, Cherry Shrimp, Betta

For which of those would I need a heater?

I have a heater made for a 5 gallon tank (that is supposed to keep the water 78*), but if I don't need it I would just as soon return it and save some money.

I would appreciate any help.

TripleB67

Personally in a tank that small I would use one. Keep in mind, the less water in the tank means the more your water temps are going to fluctuate.

Well all those fish need a heater that goes up that high but I'm not sure if the shrimp do need :/

I think of it like this, how would you like to live in a house that is too cold or too warm?

I know that guppies can live in cooler temperatures as low as 60's with 72 -80 being the normal range, and can be pretty hardy fish so you maybe able to get away with not using a heater with them, depending on your house temperature and location of tank.

Betta's prefer 75-85, but im not sure you would want to put anything else in with one in this size tank.

I'd stock with 1 Betta and keep the heater.
Coldwater fish like Goldfish don't need heaters but the fish you listed are all tropicals.

Back
Top Bottom