Is all of the Algae Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank up and running for about a month now. I have had a pair of clowns for a week and there is alot of brown algae on the sides and the sand and it is really unattractive. Ive heard of a stage called the brown out period where everything in your tank is covered with this brown algae. Is this true, is this why im experiencing sooooo much brown algae. I am going to perform a 15% water change tonight and change the month older filter media. Will this solve my problems?
Also what is a good brand of carbon to use, because i am going to buy filter floss and cut it to fit my filter and a container of carbon, instead of using the brand name premade filter cartridges.
TIA

What you have is diatoms. Completley normal for a new tank, and usually an uncycled tank. 3 weeks is a bit early too be getting fish, IMO. Are you sure you are cycled? Have you tested the water? Once you get enough bacteria in your tank, you will see the diatoms almost instantly dissapear.

Good luck.

Diatom algae and its normal and should go away on its own after a few weeks. There is nothing I know of that will make it go away. Clean up crew would help out some... Snails crabs etc..

ya im completely cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, just did a water change so nitrates are probably low too

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom