Is an anenome safe in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is an anemone safe with my updated list for my 75 gallon. When tank is more mature of course...

5 green chromis (green/blue)
2 firefish (unsure of which one)
1 (something brightly colored, wanting something red, any ideas?)
1 royal gramma (pink/yellow)
1 percula clown (orange/white/black)
1 yellow tang (yellow)

2 emerald crabs
1 ruby crab
1 pom pom crab
1 porcelain crab
2 cleaner shrimp
2 blood red shrimp
1 scarlett HC
5 blue leg HC
20 trochus
20 nassarius

you can do an anemone there are so many kinds when you do get one you need to make sure you have at least 5 watts of light per gal of water. a great anemone for that list would be a carpet, bubble or tentical happy fishing

Its gonna be a FOWLR to start, but it will have lighting to support corals just incase i decide to go that route plus it makes the fish look better. Sorry i dont know much about lighting yet

no prob for lighting i would go t-5ho or metal halide thats your best bet. just make sure that what ever anemone you decide to get will be compatible for your tank, because there are some that will eat your fish.

I'd also make sure that whatever anemone you get, that your hermits aren't natural predators of anemones. I know red legged hermits eat them so you may want to check on your specific hermit species to make sure that they don't have a taste for nems.

ON :soap:

IMO anemones should be left in the ocean where they can live their full lives (30 years??). That is way beyond the life of any tank that we have.

Too many of these creatures die due to poor lighting, poor water quality, overfeeding, underfeeding, etc. that the few that live 5+ years in a tank don't justify the trade.

Now for those who have had a reef tank for 5 years and already know how to keep very stable water parameters I may understand getting one and fragging it for sale/trade. At least that helps to leave the wild population intact. But until there is sufficient quantites of fragged anemones for sale, please think again about getting one. Clown fish don't need one. They move around and kill other corals trying to find a 'happy place'. They die all too soon and suddenly, though most waste away for a period of months till they show signs of it (at which point it's too late to help).
OFF :soap:

yea i would like a flame angel. Where would you put him on the list? I have it in order of introduction.

5 green chromis (green/blue)
2 firefish (unsure of which one)
1 royal gramma (pink/yellow)
1 percula clown (orange/white/black)
1 yellow tang (yellow)
1 flame angel (red/black/purple)

2 emerald crabs
1 pom pom crab
1 porcelain crab
2 cleaner shrimp
2 blood red shrimp
1 scarlett HC
5 blue leg HC
1 hawaiian feather duster
20 black turbo snails
20 nassarius snails

picked up a couple chromis today for my 20. The house will be done in about a month so I'm counting the days until the new 75 gallon setup. Also picked up a free 55 gallon tank for my nephew.

ON :soap:

IMO anemones should be left in the ocean where they can live their full lives (30 years??). That is way beyond the life of any tank that we have.

Too many of these creatures die due to poor lighting, poor water quality, overfeeding, underfeeding, etc. that the few that live 5+ years in a tank don't justify the trade.

Now for those who have had a reef tank for 5 years and already know how to keep very stable water parameters I may understand getting one and fragging it for sale/trade. At least that helps to leave the wild population intact. But until there is sufficient quantites of fragged anemones for sale, please think again about getting one. Clown fish don't need one. They move around and kill other corals trying to find a 'happy place'. They die all too soon and suddenly, though most waste away for a period of months till they show signs of it (at which point it's too late to help).
OFF :soap:

Agreed. Nice Cmor.

My Clarkii don't know the difference!
img_1116746_0_f3c5989fa78597bca18f7d63b623d224.jpg

Here's my black and white with a silicon anemone.
img_1116750_0_930295b2534782536283c843e46d3b9c.jpg

Oh, and the flame angel is NOT reef safe. You should check that compatibility if you are planning on going reef in the future. When they say "with caution" that means it's hit or miss. Like the Coral Beauty and all Centropyge, they may be fine for years and then develop a taste and start munching.

So far my Coral Beauty has been a good citizen (6 years). BUT I've got my eye on it as I add more sps. I'd hate to have to pull it out of the tank, but the corals cost more. :(

Back
Top Bottom