Is Chemical filtration necessary (carbon)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not necessary 100% of the time, but does serve a useful purpose. What alot of folks do is run carbon about one week of the month to help clarify/purify the water. Carbon can also remove good things from your water, so that is why it is not done 100% of the time. If you have corals, they can have little toxin battles with each other, the carbon helps remove things like this.

Filter floss just removes larger particles and can add to a nitrate count if not changed out often.

I use Chemi-Pure by Boyd. The most important thing when running carbon is to change it often. As it absorbs the impurities from the water it will get used up, then begin leeching them back into the system. Also, when rinsing the carbon for the first time before adding it to the tank, use RO/DI water. It will actually absorb the impurities in tap water, thus decreasing it's effective life in the tank.

I concur with everything that was said above. You'll have to monitor your own water quality to find a pattern on when changing your carbon is best suited for your environment.

Good Topic. Does that count for HOBs too? I've been using carbon from the getgo. Now that it's mentioned, what are my alternatives for Carbon filter HOBs?

Back
Top Bottom