Is flow in tanks a game of chess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40 breeder with a few fish, a BTA, trumpet coral, and a hammer coral. I didn't really like the flow out of 1 Koralia EVO 1400. I felt I had to find good spots for these corals, and it took some time to adjust. I didn't want to feel too limited in my random flow spots, so I nixed the 1400 and got 2 850's. I know this is a little more flow, but I figured it would be more random as I could have them pointed towards each other. Wrong, it's insane flow in there, and a lot of it is direct and not so random. At this point, I'm afraid I might lose my hammer coral from too much flow, and my BTA is going bananas... Is placement always about finding the right spot? I just can't seem to find a spot where the bottom heads of my hammer coral don't look like they're getting a direct blast... Any tips?

Aim your powerheads at the sides of the tank and at the surface of the water. I have 6 powerheads in my 55 reef, so you are by no means crushing your tank with flow...you just have to get the kinks worn out. All of my powerheads are pointed at the sides and surface. Even then, I have 2 dead spots right under my powerheads.

Right now they're both about 3 inches under the surface of the water, in the middle, on opposite ends facing each other. Not really aimed towards the surface but definitely getting agitation. Should I lower them and face them more upwards?

Would a day or 2 of trial and error with flow wipe out my hammer if it has a lot of direct flow? That's what I'm concerned about.

I would recommend another powerhead or two and maybe smaller individual powerheads. IME/IMO more smaller ones work better than fewer larger ones. The downside is more powerstrip slots.

Have an opportunity to buy a new MP10 for $236... Should I pull the trigger? I've tried many times with many sized Koralias but just can't find a good tune for this tank, I believe because it is such a short and shallow tank...

Think I might pick one up... Seems like its a solid little powerhead. Might be the answer to my issue. The 2 new power heads I picked up were a form of money owed to me, so it isn't any money "lost" per se. Just gotta try to sell em.

Id keep one 850 gph and the mp10. I have a mp10 in my BC29 and its great. My return shoots right under the vortech so I have no dead spots.

Man I'm gonna have a tough time spending $235 when I have 2 EVO 1400's, 1 EVO 1050, 1 EVO 550, and 2 EVO 850's. There's gotta be something I can work. Plus I have a Hydor Wave Maker. What if I put the 550 on the back of the tank in the center towards the top, ran that constantly, and put the 850's on the Wave Maker? That might randomize things a bit eh?

image-1921294213.jpg

Don't need the wave maker at all. One on the back glass, one on each side. Point side a at the front of the tank and side b at the back of the tank.

I've tried so many positions with the 2 on the sides, but the problem is with the 850's, they're too powerful running at the same time. The reason I wanted to run a smaller 550 on the back, and alternate the 850's, is because it would lessen the flow a little bit, but not cut it in half. An 850 plus a 550, as oppose to 2 850's...

And if I point 1 at the front and 1 at the back, won't it give it a "whirlpool" effect? I thought that wasn't really desired...

I aim my two returns at each other causing chaotic flow movement. This is the type found on the reef.

It shouldn't make a whirlpool. I do this in my tank with a powerhead on the back without issues. Like stated above, pointing them at one another will work as well.

Two types of flow on the reef, a slow tidal surge and random flow. It's the random flow that's the most important in your tank. IMO I try to randomize the flow as much as I can. Some corals like to thrash around, other like a gentler flow, you need areas that do both. Sometimes just placing a rock near a coral will modify the flow pattern to the corals benefit. There is a fair mount of trial and error here.

I came home and my hammer coral looked like crap. I played around with the power heads. I'm getting completely frustrated. I should have gotten less powerful Koralias and ran them simultaneously, which was my initial intention but it is just too much flow. I'm running my 850's alternating for now, as I am trying to get my hammer looking good again. Still undecided as to if I'm going to buy a MP10... Looking like I should at this point. Seems as though the 40 breeders because they are so short and shallow almost amplify the flow. Never would have guessed...

Have you tried simply replacing one of the 850 with the 550 you have already?

I came home and my hammer coral looked like crap. I played around with the power heads. I'm getting completely frustrated. I should have gotten less powerful Koralias and ran them simultaneously, which was my initial intention but it is just too much flow. I'm running my 850's alternating for now, as I am trying to get my hammer looking good again. Still undecided as to if I'm going to buy a MP10... Looking like I should at this point. Seems as though the 40 breeders because they are so short and shallow almost amplify the flow. Never would have guessed...

I have both kinds and I agree with your assessment. The Korilla fans are much more directional than the MP10. The MP10 works great in our 38 gallon at my office. I just hate its price tag, but it is deluxe in every way.

Back
Top Bottom