Is it diatoms or cyano and what's the best and easiest way to clean it up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I left for 3 days for the 4th. Come home last night and I couldn't even see inside my tank the glass was literally 100% and after cleaning it I see this every where!!! Is it diatoms or cyano and what's the best and easiest way to clean it up? I have no phos reactor and all params are 0...

image-573146327.jpg

Looks like hair algae to me. Did you leave the lights on the entire time?

I would start by reducing the photoperiod down to 6 hours daily and manually removing all of the algae, siphoning as you remove it.

Lights are timed 8 hours for whites . 10 hours for blues. It's not green tho. It's brown.. I have hair algae growing in many spots. But it's a greenish.. I'm going to try and siphon it tonight.

personal opinion, running blues, or blue led's do nothing for our tanks, they also do not count as lighting, many people say I have 3 white and 3 blues,.........then you have 3 whites and 3 decoration lights, when the sun goes down on the worlds oceans, the moon light does not help corals or fish, feel better just one of my pet peavies when you ask people what kind of lighting they have, if blue/moon/pretty led's mattered then corals would polyp under"moon" lights or at night but they don't until the sun comes up and penetrates the oceans depths. If you have 6 forty watt bulbs, 3 whites and 3 blues, then you have 3 good lights and 3 decorator lights. I feel better now :)

I don't know, my blue LEDs give off an aweful lot of light. When my whites turn off my blues stay on and my coral don't change a bit. They all stay fully extended until my blues turn off. If I turn off my blue and just run my whites you can really see how much dimmer my tank gets. Just sayin, they give off light....

personal opinion, running blues, or blue led's do nothing for our tanks, they also do not count as lighting, many people say I have 3 white and 3 blues,.........then you have 3 whites and 3 decoration lights, when the sun goes down on the worlds oceans, the moon light does not help corals or fish, feel better just one of my pet peavies when you ask people what kind of lighting they have, if blue/moon/pretty led's mattered then corals would polyp under"moon" lights or at night but they don't until the sun comes up and penetrates the oceans depths. If you have 6 forty watt bulbs, 3 whites and 3 blues, then you have 3 good lights and 3 decorator lights. I feel better now :)

Sorry but this is all wrong. Blue light spectrums are used more by corals than any other as it penetrates water depths the most. White lights are a mix of color spectrums. Those used for reefs often emit more blue than anything else. You just can't see it as it is blended with other light spectrums. Moon lights in SOME cases are merely decorative because there are too few of them or don't emit enough light to be beneficial.

The statement that blue does nothing would be totally in conflict with what Mr_X believes because he is running one of his tank with total blue.

How old is the tank? I would start treating the tank as though you have high NO3 and PO4 even though your test kits are probably going to read zero because the algae is consuming them

Tank is 8 months old. One month old on the new Taos.. I bought a joke tang and some algae fix.. Hoping that might work. I'm growing many different types of algae now.. I even have macro... Looks like to me.... Growing on my glass in my fuge...

No doubt what I am seeing are hair algae. First you need to physically removed them as much as you can by siphoning while brushing them off during pwc. Cut down your lights for total of just 6 hours with white just 2 hours for now until algae is under control. Turbo snails and hermit crabs will make a good team work for your cuc. Cut down of feeding too.

Thanks. I bought a kole tang and siphoned a bunch out last night. Also I'm only feeding once every 3-4 days

I have been treating with algaefix. And I'm see a slight improvement . But this slimy brown crap is actually growing at night. This morning there are more strings floating that were not there last night...

AlgeaFIx Marine I assume you are using is just a nadaid. it kills the algae once you stop dosing it the algae comes back. It doesn't fix the problem of high nutrients only water changes, water movement and good quality filtrations does

It is algaefix marine. I plan on doing a big w change tonight. I added 2 hydor 750's just before it all started along with my 2-1050s.

150 overflow with 55g sump w built I. Fuge. Pumps are about 600gph together. One blue filter pad and active carbon. Lights on 10 he's a day. Lights are 3 taotronics dimmables. At 69% white. 10% blue. All params are zero. Switched from oceanic to instant ocean. Slowly 10 g a week.. Anything else?

Back
Top Bottom