Is it ick or is he just being bullied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spacepops

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my neon barbs has not been doing well. He hide the plants because he gets chased by the other barb. I noticed he was covered in spots about a week ago ang start treatment. I raised the temp and what not. The next day he was back swimming around then for the past 3 days he’s been in the bushes mostly. His fins are all nipped and all four other fish look %100 fine. Any advice?

Attachments

• C6EC1FE2-3FC9-4572-A4FC-16E7391EAD16.jpg
    C6EC1FE2-3FC9-4572-A4FC-16E7391EAD16.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 0536DE05-03C5-473F-8B45-A82808728F08.jpg
    0536DE05-03C5-473F-8B45-A82808728F08.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 347F333B-6FB6-4FDE-BBF9-4AFB3E45F8D8.jpg
    347F333B-6FB6-4FDE-BBF9-4AFB3E45F8D8.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 60
Unfortunately, in my experience, fish that look like that don't make it. Maybe if you have another tank to get him away from the harassment. I started putting a massive number of fake pants in the sides of my tank, that gives them a little refuge and has helped a lot.

How many Barbs are there including if any are Glowfish?

There should be one male and 2-3 females. Some individuals seem to be the worst ones.

If you could set up a QT and medicate the plastic tub or what have you, the rim of white is dead tissue and it seems to be receding nearly to the body of the fish. You still have a chance, but it looks bad.

If you have medication for fin rot then try it in a bucket or plastic tote, if you don't have a QT. Put 100% clean water in each day. Feed then after about 15-30 min, do a water change on the bucket. That way he will be in cleaner water all day until the next feeding.

A 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of aquarium salt to help his slime coat, and Epsom salt / which is not really salt but magnesium sulfate a mineral, a tablespoon per gallon dissolved. Added into the initial QT in 1/3rd amounts over 12 -24 hours. Then just keep adding the total amount to the pwc each time.

You can make up a container of concentrate ahead so you can add just a certain amount of the liquid concentrate to each water change daily.

Ich doesn't eat the fins like that.

You could still have ICH, if you had it before and didn't treat long enough.

Also if the heat is still high in the tank he is in from the Ich heat treatment, higher temps can cause infection to speed up too.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Last edited:
Update

He didn’t make it I came home to him floating. There was two glowbarbs and three glow tetra. A total of 5 fish in a 10g column... im learning now that that tank isn’t suitable for the barbs at all and I didn’t have enough. I have had treatment in the tank for 4 days now. I’m about to do the WC is recomends after 96 hours. When I checked the water perimeters ammonia was really high. But it wasn’t two days before I believe that fish died yesterday morning and was rotting in the tank for my 15 hour shift

Yeah, sorry to hear.

The column tanks make really nice shrimp tanks, with tall DW sticking up and plants growing along the areas around the DW. Depending on if the meds had copper or copper family additives.

Yeah I plan to hunt for a 30g for the barb school imma do. And maybe use this 10g for the tetras? Or do they need more space. I actually have a 1g bowfront I plan to make into a nano shrimp tank low tech

Yeah I plan to hunt for a 30g for the barb school imma do. And maybe use this 10g for the tetras? Or do they need more space. I actually have a 1g bowfront I plan to make into a nano shrimp tank low tech
Good luck! I've never owned barbs but I do think they look cool :)

Back
Top Bottom