Is it possible to breed fancy guppies with swordtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
My adolescent male swordtail just tried to mate with my female guppy. Idk if she will carry or not and for some reason she gets fat and then skinny avery couple of months so idk wat that's about. Is it possible to breed them? Cause she is so beautiful and the out come would be breathtaking. Thanks and remember:

Striped bass eat clams

Guppies will never breed with another species. Usually only with guppies or mollies. There are some rare cases of inbreeding, but the fry come out all deformed.

Guppies will never breed with another species. Usually only with guppies or mollies. There are some rare cases of inbreeding, but the fry come out all deformed.

Just to clarify. Guppies can hybridize with other fish in the same genus as theirs, which includes mollies and endlers.

I think you meant hybridizing rather than inbreeding, inbreeding is regularly practiced with fish because it keeps lines pure, there usually isn't any genetic issues stemming from it until multiple generations down the line.

I think it is possible if artificially inseminated in labs. Guppys can be crossed with Mollys and endlers, as they are poecilidae, swordtail are xiphophorus.

Back
Top Bottom