Is it safe/ benficial to add multivitamin to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have herd of people adding vitamins To water .

Why and what kind would you use ... Would a calcium vitamin help snails ? Would any help guppy fry?

I have herd of people adding vitamins To water .

Why and what kind would you use ... Would a calcium vitamin help snails ? Would any help guppy fry?

I don't think it's a good idea as vitamins contain all kinds of metals and ingredients that would pollute the water more than provide any benefit. Plus it will be difficult to splice a vitamin into the exact amount you need I think.

I occasionally drop a calcium pill (only calcium, no other added supplements) or TUMS into snail tanks with no ill effects. I wouldn't use a multivitamin though.

I also soak frozen foods in vita-chem, which is a vitamin supplement designed for fish.

I occasionally drop a calcium pill (only calcium, no other added supplements) or TUMS into snail tanks with no ill effects. I wouldn't use a multivitamin though.

I also soak frozen foods in vita-chem, which is a vitamin supplement designed for fish.

Is it safe for fish

I've never noticed any issues with my fish. They seem to like pecking at the tums. Use fruit flavor, not mint. It clouds the water really badly for a couple hours, but it doesn't hurt the fish.

Why do you want to add vitamins to the tank? A proper diet should take care of their needs.

Was thinking calcium vitamins would be cheaper than cuttle bone for snails.. Cuttle bone is not cheap at Petsmart

Was thinking calcium vitamins would be cheaper than cuttle bone for snails.. Cuttle bone is not cheap at Petsmart

But the cuttlebone you get is gonna last a lot longer than vitamins. You need only cut a few pieces off of it and drop it in.

Can you add reptile calcium sand to fish tanks? I love the color and was thinking calcium would help snails

You probably don't need to add anything to your tank. Do you know your GH? I was told you can add some spinach which would be better than adding unknowns to your tank.

No... I don't know where to get a test for it .. Does Petsmart or Petco have them?

What makes you suspect that your snails need additional calcium?

If you can, test your water. Snails need a pH over 7, and hard water. High GH. They may or may not need calcium supplements, but there are much cheaper ones than cuttle bone if they do.

Those vacation fish feeder blocks can be good calcium for snails. They nibble at them, and eat the food bits inside them, but the plaster that they are made of is pure calcium, so the nibbling also gets them calcium.

If their shells are growing well, no pitting or deformities at the growing edge, and the pH is over 7, chances are they are doing fine.

I know ph is 7.4 but shells look like color changed to lighter an are thinner the oldest I have had for like 2-3 months I don't know we're to get gh kh test

Tetra 6in1 strips show GH and KH if you can't get a liquid GH test. Though even Petsmart ought to be able to order one for you.

pH is good, no worries. Does the kettle get full of scale from boiling water ? Might sound odd, but if it does, you have hard water, and that's what the snails like.

A change of environment can affect the colour of their shells, especially new growth.

Edit. Or the coffee maker.. either one will show scale buildup with hard water

Not sure but we have water softener system and even with that faucet ph after dechlorination is added is like 8

OH OH.. that's not good. Softeners replace the calcium with sodium ions.. that's bad for fish and snails. Really quite bad, no wonder they are not looking like they used to.

You have to get water that did not go through the softener. Usually there is at least one tap that is not connected to the machine, though it may be in the garage or outside.

If you can't get unsoftened water year round, you may have to buy spring water. NOT RO water, spring water, to keep them from having their shells dissolve.

The fish look perfectly fine it never affected Betta i have had in tis house for a year ad my dad uses the system for his 54 and only fish he had trouble with are neons but that's prob cuz his temps are like 83 my other option is its not the water from water softener system is well water so should I just try from the hose then? I can't afford to buy water .. How does it replace it with sodium ions? It uses salt how can I tell if outside water goes through the system

Water from the hose should be fine. You can tell if it's hooked up to the softener or not by tracing the pipe the hose tap connects to. If the pipe to the hose comes from the piping after the water softener, it's soft water.

If it's connected to the water pipe BEFORE the water softener it will be, I assume, hard well water. I'd guess it's pretty hard or you would not have the water softener. Snails will like it fine.

I'm amazed any fish are doing ok in water from a softener. I am no expert in how the machines do what they do, but calcium is one of the two main minerals that makes water hard. If you have a softener, you put big bags of salt into it every so often. The water coming from the well goes through the machine, which mixes the water and salt in some way, so that when it comes out, all the calcium is gone, replaced with part of the salt. Salt is not one thing, it's sodium chloride.. the sodium is what goes into the tap water, I think. So you need less detergent to do the wash, soap lathers easily, your skin feels nicer after you bathe or shower.

But regardless of how the water softener works, it removes calcium. Any fish or critter than needs hard water and calcium is not going to do very well in soft water from a softener. The Betta may be ok simply because it's not a fish that must have hard water, but snails do need hard water, or they can't maintain their shells. Shrimp would have the same problem and wouldn't be able to moult.

Not knowing what fish your Dad keeps, I can't comment, but most manufacturers of water softeners will tell you not to use the water for fish, and most of them tell you not to hook up the garden tap to the softener, because you will be paying so much more to soften water used for the garden and yard, where it makes no difference how hard it is.

Back
Top Bottom