Is it safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe to keep changing the gravel and stuff in my tank. I was thinking about doing a Holliday tank. I would be taking everthing out ( but the fish) and putting new stuff in. I just want to know if it's ok to do that?

I don't think it would be an issue other than removing the bio-film that has built up on your decorations. But most of your biologic filter is in your actual filter anyway so you should be fine to do that.

You will probably get a mini cycle. I do every time I change something. Doing that massive of a change will guarantee one. Just be sure to keep careful check on your water and be prepared to do water changes. Anytime you change the substrate you release a lot of trapped stuff into the water which causes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to spike. Your filter also has to grow to pick up the bio load and that takes time.

You will probably get a mini cycle. I do every time I change something. Doing that massive of a change will guarantee one. Just be sure to keep careful check on your water and be prepared to do water changes. Anytime you change the substrate you release a lot of trapped stuff into the water which causes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to spike. Your filter also has to grow to pick up the bio load and that takes time.

Mini cycle? Is that something I need to buy?

Mini cycle? Is that something I need to buy?

Haha no. He means when you first start up a new tank it goes through a cycle to get all the bacteria and stuff established. When you do a massive change like you are talking about your tank will go through another cycle like it did when you first started it up. Except this time it won't last as long. However you need to keep an eye on water parameters during the mini cycle.

Haha no. He means when you first start up a new tank it goes through a cycle to get all the bacteria and stuff established. When you do a massive change like you are talking about your tank will go through another cycle like it did when you first started it up. Except this time it won't last as long. However you need to keep an eye on water parameters during the mini cycle.
Oh I new about cycling but when you said mini cycle is lost me. So I should just keep an eye on the water. Every time I change Also should I take the fish out when I do the change

Yes, every time you make a big change in your tank you need to check the water. It will often send you through a small recycling period. If you are going to change the substrate you need to remove the fish and other tank inhabitants. I didn't a few months ago and it cost me most of my blue pearl shrimp. I went from pool filter sand to Black Diamond Blasting Grit. I thought I could do it without making too big of a mess. Boy was I wrong. It is amazing how much gunk is in the sand and gets released into the water. My water stunk and was so cloudy you couldn't see the fish. I was afraid I was going to loose my fish but they survived. The shrimp suffered though. I also did my filter impeller in because I had taken off the sponge I had on the intake pipe.

One thing to consider is each time you do this it will stress the fish. Doing it once in a while is one thing but I wouldn't do it a lot. You could change decorations but I wouldn't encourage changing the substrate on a regular basis.

We'll I was thinking it would be nice to do that for my work. I work in a nursing home. So I was thinking it would be cool to do. Would bettas be better for that? Or should I try gold fish.

We'll I was thinking it would be nice to do that for my work. I work in a nursing home. So I was thinking it would be cool to do. Would bettas be better for that? Or should I try gold fish.

Definitely a Betta as goldfish need a large tank.

What size tank? So you want to add either a Betta or GF to the tank with Mollies or Guppies? You can't add a coldwater GF to a tropical tank. Betta's have individual temperaments and while some are docile and make good community fish, others are terrors and have to be housed alone. Betta are also know not to do well with Guppies for the most part.

Goldfish are filthy and would cause more of an issue. That said, when I said it was ok I really wasn't taking removing the substrate into account. If you do that you will leave your tank in a constant state of cycling. Which will be bad for your fish and really not so fun for you. Because it will require a water change anytime your ammo and nitrite get over .25ppm. If you add goldfish then you will need at least a 30g tank for the first and 10g for each one there after they get big fast. Using different types of fish under the assumption that a different type would tolerate the constant changes doesn't really work. Your fish will tolerate a certain amount of stress but only to a point and all of that stress will lead to sick and dying fish.
Maybe find a neutral substrate that you can add and remove decoration depending on the holiday. That will fix the whole issue right there.
I do have a question though what size tank do you have so we can help you properly stock your new tank with fish that are suited to that size and are a bit hardier.

Goldfish are filthy and would cause more of an issue. That said, when I said it was ok I really wasn't taking removing the substrate into account. If you do that you will leave your tank in a constant state of cycling. Which will be bad for your fish and really not so fun for you. Because it will require a water change anytime your ammo and nitrite get over .25ppm. If you add goldfish then you will need at least a 30g tank for the first and 10g for each one there after they get big fast. Using different types of fish under the assumption that a different type would tolerate the constant changes doesn't really work. Your fish will tolerate a certain amount of stress but only to a point and all of that stress will lead to sick and dying fish. Maybe find a neutral substrate that you can add and remove decoration depending on the holiday. That will fix the whole issue right there. I do have a question though what size tank do you have so we can help you properly stock your new tank with fish that are suited to that size and are a bit hardier.

I would take the other fish out and just have bettas or gf. And it's a 29g.

Yes, mollies and guppies can interbreed just like platies and swords.

If you removed the other fish then the Betta would have a mansion in a 29g.

I kept a betta with my molly and it did just fine. But he was really laid back and my molly was a solid black so she didn't represent a threat to the betta. I am not going to tell you not to do it but some seem to do really great with other fish and some are like Ghengis Khan and only out for blood. Male bettas can only kept 1 to a tank unless you have a huge tank. I have heard of several males being kept in a 125g heavily planted tank. Doing this is the exception rather than the rule. Females can be kept in a betta sorority of around 5 females but I don't know anything about their requirements. Females are also much harder to find. Good companions for bettas are fish that are not brightly colored and if they are, are fast moving like neon tetras, Don't have long flowy fins like angels. Bettas get confused and will think they are a rival male and may attack. Fish like tiger barbs and danios are also out as they tend to get nippy and will most likely beat up on a betta as they are sort of handicapped with their long flowing fins and it makes them kinda slow.
You could do the goldfish but you need to be aware they are a cold water fish and putting them in to a tropical tank that is that warm will shorten their life drastically. Goldfish when kept properly can live as long as 25 years and reach a foot long. These are really a pond fish and are much happier in that environment

I keep 4 male betta's in my 100% planted 220g tank with Angelfish. Betta's are unique fish. But the tank is so big and so heavily planted nobody feels crowded or threatened for lack of territory. Everything just hinges on each Betta's temperament.

OP have you considered just adding a colorful Dwarf Gourami to the tank?

The only fish I have ever had was guppies mollies and neons. So so something I would like to know is what fish can I have in there that would be ok with what I'm doing? I heard gf can live in any kind of water.

Back
Top Bottom