Is my 55 gallon overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vao71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everybody, Id say I'm fairly new to this hobby, I've been doing it for about 3 months now. I have a 55 gallon tank and about a week ago the nitrogen cycle had been completed with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites. Since then I've been adding some fish and I need your guys's advice on whether its overstocked.
55 Gallon
1 decent sized blue crayfish
1 Black knife ghost fish
2 Red velvet swordtails
1 3 spotted blue guorami
1 fairly large gold guorami (the blue one is always picking on him :/)
2 fairly small green severums
2 angel fish, one fairly bigger than the other
1 tiger barb (lost 4 to ammonia during cycling :()
1 odessa barb
4 painted tetras (I didn't know they were artifically dyed, won't be making that mistake again)
1 rose barb (I believe the other one was killed by the crayfish)
1 Giant danio
1 rope fish

The tank is densed pretty well with fake plants, a nice cave for the crayfish, and a ghost tube for the BGK.
The reason I ask all this is I just purchased the rope fish today and I was hoping to get another one soon, I was going to take out a very large decoration and put in maybe another large cave or driftwood for the 2 rope fish.
So what do you guys think? too overstocked? can I fit in 1 more ropefish?

I think you're incredibly overstocked (Or soon will be) and I think your crayfish will only correct some of that in the long term.

What's your nitrAte level normally reside at and what sort of filtration do you have?

The nitrate level is at 5
I use an emperor 350 I believe its called?
And to be honest crayfish was the first underwater organism I ever got (months ago) and that was the first time I've ever seen aggression, I'm not even completely sure if he killed the fish, just saw a half eaten dead body in his cave the morning after. Btw that happened about 2-3 days ago, but anyway the fish all have plenty of swimming room and seem like they're all in good health

The nitrate level is at 5
I use an emperor 350 I believe its called?
And to be honest crayfish was the first underwater organism I ever got (months ago) and that was the first time I've ever seen aggression, I'm not even completely sure if he killed the fish, just saw a half eaten dead body in his cave the morning after. Btw that happened about 2-3 days ago, but anyway the fish all have plenty of swimming room and seem like they're all in good health

It's amazing you've got the nitrates so low so good job (y)

Eventually your BGK, Severums and Ropefish will grow up though and space will become an issue which will lead to territorial disputes and death.

I personally wouldn't get another ropefish as that would just be expediting the process.

I'd look at getting a much larger tank though in the future if you'd like to keep all your fish long term as well.

Also any chance of some pics? Sounds like a very impressive tank so sure others like myself would love to see it.

Darn :/ lol That ropefish seemed awfully sad without a friend, all my fish already pretty much established their own territories but I suppose you are right, the BGK still has a lot of growing to do, I'll definetly look for an upgrade, maybe a 75 gallon but thank you for all your help :thanks:

Hey, tiger barbs don't do well in low numbers, especially with 1 lol. He/she will start nipping on fins and is probably really stressed out if not already. I suggest putting him in another tank, or adding a few more tiger barba

Oh trust me I've been looking, this tiger barb is an unusually large size with very bright vibrant colors, all of the barbs I see at my local fish store are much too small

Back
Top Bottom