Is my Betta Healthy?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mvelden98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night I went to get my first Betta Fish. I have had the tank set up for a couple of days to allow the water to settle. The water is at the correct temperature, and has been treated. The tank is a 3 gallons, with a nice caved rock and 2 live plants in. The Betta is with a small group of tetras and a couple of shrimp. They all seam happy with no fighting, however the tetra has taken to just laying down on the bottom between the side of the tank and the rock. Is this normal? Should I do anything?!

Did you cycle the tank first? From the sounds of it, you only set it up a couple of days prior. If you didn't cycle the tank, this is probably the number one problem with your fish's behavior. An uncycled tank can really harm your fish and usually kills them. You may want to do some research on how to cycle a tank and you may consider taking the fish back where you got them until your tank is cycled. :)
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Or if you really want to do fish in cycle (not in the best interest of the fish, but doable)
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Good luck, and if you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Would adding water conditioner do the job? I added some when I set the tank up, but not when I put the new fish in. Should I perhaps add some more now that I have fish in the water?

Water conditioner won't really do the job. I would suggest that you do a 50% water change on the tank and if you don't have a testing kit, you should pick one up (API Master Test kit has everything you will need to test the water parameters). Be sure to avoid the dip strips, as those are usually very inaccurate. What kind of water conditioner do you have?

Yes. Any fish in there is producing waste, which will then turn into ammonia, and so on and so forth. Whether they will survive the cycle, I don't know. Ammonia is deadly to all life forms, including fish. So if you are set on keeping the fish in there, you must do 50% water changes often, sometimes more than once a day. On top of this, the fish you leave in there may not live, and the ones that do will have lifelong issues (usually).
It IS possible though! I had received a tank and ended up having to take the fish and once I got them all home, I couldn't part with them. I've lost about half of them during my cycle, but the other half are doing well now.

Why do you have to do water changes so often? I am by no means an expert but more than once a day seams a little excessive. Isn't the stress of frequent water changes more likely to kill the fish. Doesn't most of the waste get caught by my filter, which I can then clean to remove the waste before if becomes damaging for the fish?

Sorry for the confusion. You might have to do multiple smaller water changes in a single day- too many 50% changes can cause stress so sometimes it's best to break it up into smaller, multiple changes. It might seem stressful, and it kind of is, but you have to make sure the levels are low enough so that it doesn't kill your fish. You might try researching about ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH to better understand what I'm trying to tell you. :) So if you don't have a testing kit, I would make that a priority in purchasing, because you will need it in order to successfully keep an aquarium.

3 gallons with tetras in it? And a betta? Kinda seems like a tight fit to me... From what I've read most tetras like to have at least 10 gallons. And that betta would love to have the tank all to himself.. I don't want to be that guy who is always guaranteed to swoop in on a thread and scream "Your tank is overstocked!!!" But you may want to double check if your species of tetras live well in 3 gallons. The general rule (and I mean general no one should be strict to this rule. The spacier the tank the better) is one inch of fish per gallon. 1 betta and I'm assuming when you say "some tetras" means more than 2....

Just a friendly suggestion to why they may be lethargic :) if I'm wrong, I will learn something new!

Why do you have to do water changes so often? I am by no means an expert but more than once a day seams a little excessive. Isn't the stress of frequent water changes more likely to kill the fish. Doesn't most of the waste get caught by my filter, which I can then clean to remove the waste before if becomes damaging for the fish?

The numerous water changes in your situation will be a necessity or the fish WILL start to die. They release ammonia which is HIGHLY toxic to fish. While this wouldn't be as much of an issue if just the betta was in the tank; putting additional fish in there is pushing the tank far beyond the limit of what is safe to your fish. If you insist on keeping the tetras in that tank you will likely need to do 2 - 3 50% water changes daily for at least 1 - 2 months to keep the water parameters in a safe place. It sucks, but it's either that or lose fish.

As for cleaning the filter, that is generally a no no to do thorough cleanings of the filter when you are cycling. The filter is where all your bacteria grows and messing with that can cause the whole process to start over again. Even doing daily cleaning of the filter you won't be able to remove enough waste to keep the ammonia at a safe level.

By far the best bet is to return the tetras and keep just the betta in the tank. It will be a much happier and longer lived fish.

3 gallons with tetras in it? And a betta? Kinda seems like a tight fit to me... From what I've read most tetras like to have at least 10 gallons. And that betta would love to have the tank all to himself.. I don't want to be that guy who is always guaranteed to swoop in on a thread and scream "Your tank is overstocked!!!" But you may want to double check if your species of tetras live well in 3 gallons. The general rule (and I mean general no one should be strict to this rule. The spacier the tank the better) is one inch of fish per gallon. 1 betta and I'm assuming when you say "some tetras" means more than 2....

Just a friendly suggestion to why they may be lethargic :) if I'm wrong, I will learn something new!

You are correct on that Cadet.

I can't personally think of a single tetra that can fit in a tank the size of a 3g, all that I've looked at need a 10g minimum with a few needing up to a 20g tank.

If you want some additional information on minimum tank sizes of fish take a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

To check your tank stocking level take a look at AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Lastly, since have an uncycled tank I would highly suggest looking at this link:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

^^^ I love AqAdvisor!!! It's amazing! Sometimes I just spend time creating my dream tank...

Back
Top Bottom