Is my cycle done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey!! I am wondering if my cycle is finished, please answer somebody!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393454452.226976.jpg
If it is done can anybody tell m what to do next? I will probably get fish in a week an a half, how do I keep the BB alive, do I use fish food,if so how much? I don't have any ammo? HELP ME!!!!!!!

what have you done so far? Have you seen any Nitrites and any stage? Have you seen any ammonia? Your trates look very high as well, I would start with a PWC.

A fish store in my town gave me some gravel from their fish tanks, I put it in a nylon sock and stuffed it in my HOB filter, I also used a product called Tetra Safestart Plus, I didn't see the ammo or nitrite spike, but my nitrates went up, as you can see

You need to do a couple huge water changes to bring nitrates down to at least 20ppm and then get some fish. You can add some fish food if you want to produce some ammonia for the BB but I suggest you put the food in a media bag or woman's knee-hi nylon and hang it in the tank. You don't just want to put loose food in the tank. You will need to do a 50% weekly water change to keep nutrient and toxin levels low.

And yes, with using seeded media (gravel) and using a bacteria in a bottle (which sometimes works and sometimes not) I'd say you "may" be cycled BUT if you haven't been using any ammonia or ammonia producing food then "no" you probably aren't cycled. It just depends on that seeded media. It could have caused some ammonia if it was dirty enough but there is no way of knowing. Honestly I'd get your nitrates down to acceptable levels and then decide if you want to do a fishless or fish-in cycle. You'll know real quick if your tank is cycled once you add fish or ammonia.

Last edited:
It only took 3 days to cycle my tank

The best way to prove that your tank is fully cycled would be to first get your nitrates down. Then dose with ammonia (some of the other members will need to give advice on the best way to do that) so that you get a substantial reading with your test kit. Then wait 24 hours and test again. If your test shows 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites than you can be confident that your cycle is complete.

It only took 3 days to cycle my tank

You are most definitely not cycled after 3 days. I would assume your 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites are because there has not been an ammonia source. I would also guess your nitrate test reading is unreliable. Are you using test strips or api master test kit? If master kit, did you perform the test exactly to instructions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom