is my danio dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demurefemme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
last night while doing a little plant maintenance, a large piece of bogwood was lifted, and subsequently fell either on or near one of my zebra danios. afterwards, he couldn't seem to find up, so to speak; he was swimming sideways, upside down, or straight up and down (nose pointing the gravel). i felt absolutely terrible, and stayed watching him for a long time before heading to bed, fearing he would be dead by this morning. but he's still doing the strange confused swimming, even schooling like this sometimes, now that it's over 12 hours after the fact. what is going on here? if he's dying, i want to put him out of his misery, if there's anything i can do...i want to do it. please help! and thanks in advance!

He may or may not be; sounds like he has a concussion or brain damage. I'd suggest, if you can, moving him to a QT where you can keep a closer eye on him as well as reducing stress and competition for food while he heals. And he just may heal; no guarantees of course, but clean water and reduced stress can sometimes work wonders. Plus, if he winds up with an infection its easier to treat in a QT tank.

thanks for the info...i got him into a quarentine, but it's not looking too good :(

at least i'll know next time...

Back
Top Bottom