Is my galaxy pleco carrying eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You dont need to get rid of the eggs. You can try to get your other pleco to fertilize them if you want to make a hybrid but people encourage the preservation of the bloodlines. If theyre viable just keep the spawn to yourself. If they dont get fertilized they can spoil and taint ur water

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I just went to Petsmart and asked for the epsom salt, but the guy there said it'll kill the fish. so he instead give me the aquarium salt, which doesn't say anyhting about how long to bath the fish for, but just pour it into the tank!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 73
Most likely, if your sailfin is a male, he probably won't fertilize the galaxy's eggs. It's possible, but unlikely. They're your fish, so you can try, but the male usually takes care of the eggs afterwards too by guarding them and fanning them. Without that, the eggs will most likely perish. Spoiled eggs can cause issues to the water.

That aquarium salt will work well. Just use a half dose in the quarantine tank and do daily water changes (I recommend 50% every day or two). Don't add salt every day, but if you do 50% water changes each day, you can add the half dose of salt every other day. This will help with any possible
infections or constipation, and may help if she's eggbound

What I just did was a salt dip. I put her in a 3 gallons container and left her for 20mins. But she seemed to be really well, didn't show any sign of stress at all, and even ate the pellet as soon as I returned her back to the tank. I think I might do it everyday now, until she lay eggs :angel:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 72
No she's still like that, It's been a week now. I bathed her 3 times already but it didn't work! :(:( the salt seemed to have its effect on one side of her belly, as it gradually turned back to the natural black instead of red like before. But the other side is worse, the fungus is growing more. She looks very healthy and would eats anything I drop in!

If youre suspecting a blockage you should cut off the feedings. That fish might very well be eating to death.

Epsom salt and aquarium salt are two totally different things...
Magnesium sulfate/sodium chloride...
The aquarium salt is NOT what you want for constipation...
Epsom salt can be found at any grocery store or drug store(cvs/rite aide).

This link should be very helpful;
Salt Baths - Betta Splendid
Stop feeding your fish for the next 4-7 days.
do Epsom salt baths(not aquarium salt).

Wow aquarium salt? I totally missed that part i didnt know you were using that. +1 to above poster. You need epsom salt

Yea and the guy at petsmart told you itll kill fish because petstores dont carry epsom salt. And he wanted to pressure you into making a puchase.

Epsom salt and aquarium salt are two totally different things...
Magnesium sulfate/sodium chloride...
The aquarium salt is NOT what you want for constipation...
Epsom salt can be found at any grocery store or drug store(cvs/rite aide).

This link should be very helpful;
Salt Baths - Betta Splendid
Stop feeding your fish for the next 4-7 days.
do Epsom salt baths(not aquarium salt).

Yea and the guy at petsmart told you itll kill fish because petstores dont carry epsom salt. And he wanted to pressure you into making a puchase.

Wow! Man...I'm so glad I joined this forum and thread! Not trying to hijack, but thank you coralbandit and bigsea! I was told aquarium salt OR epsom salt by someone I know who supposedly knows everything.

Sorry OP for giving bad advice.

Can the aquarium salt baths OP did hurt the galaxy? :(

Sent from my LG-D855 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would try something for internal parasites as well. Prazi Pro would be a good option. It kills a lot of the different worms that can infect our fish. Another problem that possibly could be occurring is that the pleco is egg bound. Meaning that she is very gravid but can't release the eggs due to a blockage. This is usually fatal. However, it is very unlikely. Also, your two fish will not hybridize. Different genus = No hybridization. Pterygoplichthys for the sail fin and Leporacanthicus for the galaxy. Just wanted to clear that up as there is a lot of confusion when it comes to this topic among some of the newer members on the sight. I hope your fish starts doing better! (y)

I just went to Petsmart and asked for the epsom salt, but the guy there said it'll kill the fish. so he instead give me the aquarium salt, which doesn't say anyhting about how long to bath the fish for, but just pour it into the tank!

BS. Don't listen to the idiots at the fish store- they're trying to get you to buy stuff. Aquarium salt is literally just table salt minus iodine, and you can get it cheaper buying canning/pickling salt at the grocery store.

You should be able to find epsom salt at walmart, and I think that would be your best bet for bloating. No, it won't kill your fish. I can show you pictures of my fish that have ben treated with epsom salt, very alive.

Prazipro is also a good suggestion, if it turns out to be internal worms.

Epsom salt will be found in the healthcare/pharmacy area of Walmart, and larger grocery stores. It's magnesium sulfate, as mentioned, which is used as a laxative on humans if ingested and several other uses. You won't find it in the spices aisle. A box of it will cost you $2-3 usually

Jesse

Thanks you guys so much. But epsom salt really wouldn't kill the pleco at all? I'll go to walmart today and buy it! Will this salt make it easier for the fish to lay eggs? Because I think there's a 99% that she has eggs-binding. So which of these methods should I pick? And also can someone tell me exactly the amount of epsom salt I should put for each gallon? Should I use only half a dose ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom