Is my tank overcrowded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonRaccoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5.5 gallon tank with two guppies and a Dalmatian Molly and a Red wag platy. They all seem to be doing fine and I was thinking after awhile when they get bigger I will move them into a bigger tank, but right now I am wondering if it is overcrowded.

No I recommend a 20g long. The mollies get 5" tops and all love to swim. If you get a 20g long you could add a small school of tetras if you'd like as well

No I recommend a 20g long. The mollies get 5" tops and all love to swim. If you get a 20g long you could add a small school of tetras if you'd like as well

+1 even though mollies really don't belong in anything smaller than a 30, a 20 is better than what they are in now.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I won't be able to get a new tank yet until about the summer maybe. I was thinking of upgrading to about a 10 or 20 gallon tank. Would this work for my fish and I was hoping to add more?

Mollies and platies have large bioloads which simply are not suitable for a 5.5gallon. They also need swimming room but i guess you know that now by the responses you've had

If you have a choice get the larger tank :) when mollies have a larger tank they are awesome because they swim EVERYWHERE my bf has some in a 30 gallon and you can't track one at a tone or it will hurt your eyes cause they are so active

Back
Top Bottom