is the snail is dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my apple snail hasn't moved since yesterday. I haven't ever noticed something like that before, usually it's pretty active. How long they can stay frozen? I hope it's not dead. I added some Nutrafin Plant GRO for the plants a day before, could that stuff possibly kill it?

I had the same problem with mine and I was literally told to smell him and I would know he is dead also if he has full body mass he is alive (foot pad not sunken into his shell)

Apple snails can sit like that for several days at a time, and then hop back up and be fine. I'm not entirely sure why they do it (maybe they're just resting), but I have a ton of snails that do this periodically. I did a quick google of the Nutrafin Plant GRO, and it said it should be fine for all aquarium inhabitants, including inverts. Maybe your snail was a bit irritated by it and decided to close up for a few days?

If it doesn't move in a few more days it probably is dead. :(

ryan-peddle said:
I had the same problem with mine and I was literally told to smell him and I would know he is dead also if he has full body mass he is alive (foot pad not sunken into his shell)

unfortunatelly I've no idea how dead snails smell. And I think that woud be pretty stupid if I go to a petstore and ask them if I can smell their snails ;) to know the difference

They pretty much smell awful. Exactly what you would imagine a dead snail to smell like. But I wouldn't yet, just let it sit for as long as it wants (within reason). It's likely just resting, and picking it out of the tank to smell it might stress it out more.
ryan-peddle also brought up a pretty good point about the foot being sunken in the shell or not. No need to smell it then.

no... it ain't dead. woke up and moving reaaly fast. I guess it's hungry now.

LyndaB said:
+1 nothing else on this earth smells that bad, and I work at a wastewater treatment plant.... I would know..... :nono:

Glad yours seems to be doing fine.

+1. Wastewater is a KIND way to describe. Even in my years in the medical field I NEVER smelled anything as rank, rotten, and dry heave inducing as a dead snail...

Back
Top Bottom